Obama Solves High Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Feb 23, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

So he thinks. Exxon engineers have been working full speed on producing oil from algae for at least the last 30 years. So far they have NOT SOLD ONE DROP OF GASOLINE MADE FROM ALGAE.

President Obama admitted today that he does not have a "silver bullet" solution for skyrocketing gas prices, but he proposed alternative energy sources such as "a plant-like substance, algae" as a way of cutting dependence on oil by 17 percent.

"We’re making new investments in the development of gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel that’s actually made from a plant-like substance, algae -- you've got a bunch of algae out here," Obama said at the University of Miami today. "If we can figure out how to make energy out of that, we'll be doing alright. Believe it or not, we could replace up to 17 percent of the oil we import for transportation with this fuel that we can grow right here in America."

The Department of Energy (DOE) currently spends about $85 million on 30 research projects "to develop algal biofuels," according to the White House, which announced that Obama is committing another $14 million to the idea.

http://campaign2012.washingtonexami...dential/obama-use-algae-substitute-oil/391536

2. 377OHMS

377OHMS

He just doesn't get it. The stuff he is investing in is way out there in the future. We're going to have a supply problem in the short term and prices and going to "necessarily skyrocket". I hope that he ends up being voted out of office as a result of what happens this summer.

People don't like "Staycations" particularly after they've already stayed home for the last few summers. Something has to give.

3. pspr

pspr

Obamamama! Get the fool out of here!! :eek:

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

I wonder if Odumbo knows that algae is an important part of the food chain.

5. pspr

pspr

Charles Krauthammer gave Obama high marks for his algae proposal. He said there is so much algae in the lakes and rivers and on the north side of the trees and rocks in the Rocky Mountains that we are the Saudi Arabia of algae. :D :D :D

6. but he proposed alternative energy sources such as "a plant-like substance, algae" as a way of cutting dependence on oil by 17 percent.

This guy is a product of a university.

I feel sorry for him and us, this is the crap he was taught in school.

Now he is President and is feeding us scholarly bullshit.This is all he knows.

What was the remedy last year? Switch grass? What a fuckin putz.

He's getting carried away with this green stuff. Eat your peas, have some algae, here smoke some switch grass.

7. Oh well, in the grand scheme of things. Obama has no ideas.You and I would like some cheap gas.

But if Obama doesn't address the price of oil, gas prices will be the least of our worries.

Go long Ramen noodles.

8. No, the above is wrong.
    Right: Obama has no GOOD ideas.

9. pspr

pspr

I believe when it comes to any scientific thinking or strategic thinking Obama is quite intellectually bankrupt.

10. rew

rew

The proposals for getting oil from algae all involve selecting specific species and strains that produce large amounts of lipids and then creating a monoculture of that algae in an artificial pond or even in plastic sacks in a greenhouse-like structure. Nobody is proposing harvesting the algae from ordinary ponds and lakes.

I think it will be a long, long time before we see any useful amount of oil produced this way. It won't be any cheaper than solar power (it is in fact a type of solar power) and solar power is expensive.

#10     Feb 24, 2012