Obama shuts down Gibson guitars for breaking an Indian law (not an american one)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by peilthetraveler, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Ricter

Ricter

You are uninformed. Read the history of the Lacey Act, to start with. Then, read a foreign trade paper (regularly) and see how China is rapidly tightening up.

#21     Aug 27, 2011
  2. Ricter

Ricter

The Act has been amended a lot over the decades. It was recently broadened, but the most significant change under Obama has been the end of "informed compliance" and actual, with-teeth, enforcement. Like I say, I don't like it. But business has an interest in encouraging foreign sellers to, for example, log sustainably. Many of those countries have weak oversight and little control, though they have all the interest in their resources that anyone else does.

It sucks, living on a shrinking world.

#22     Aug 27, 2011
  3. jem

jem

why I know no facts outside the link... its seems that gibson was nailed for not letting India finish the wood.

That is jobs in india vs jobs in U.S. - not sustainable growth.
    So far this looks to be a case were U.S. Federal Kooks under the chief globalist are protecting foreign workers jobs over U.S. jobs.

#23     Aug 27, 2011
  4. Ricter

Ricter

India is free to not finish their wood. Gibson is free to import it as such (if it's not a prohibited species). However, it must be declared as such, and if it's under a quota, or tariff, or both, you have to obey it and pay it, just like your competitors do. Which raises the possibility that a rival guitar maker, obeying the law, found out that Gibson is not. A fairly common scenario in the free (lol) market.

#24     Aug 27, 2011
  5. Financial Institutions bankrupt the whole god damn world and the Holder Justice Department/Obama Administration doesn't bring a single one to justice. Gibson makes a few guitars with the wrong wood...OMFG, hall their greedy asses into court.

#25     Aug 27, 2011
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

I have to agree.

On another note, may I suggest "Captain-Rage-A-Lot" for your next alias?

:)

#26     Aug 27, 2011
  7. Isn't that RIDICULOUS ?
    Our whole DNA in America is no longer "normal".
    We've morphed into a MONSTER.

#27     Aug 27, 2011
  8. Well, it follows the same blueprint of almost all agencies. Madoff operated with impunity for years while the small fries were prosecuted and "made an example of".

One can't be cynical ENOUGH any longer.

#28     Aug 27, 2011
  9. I was reading a book about architecture of cities, landmarks, historical buildings, ya know, the ones we admire, preserve, etc. the most strking comment the author made was that each and everyone of these buildings are "illegal" according to code.

Can't build them like that, they might fall down or blow over !!!*sarcasm*
    (windows that open - someone might jump out) ( or screw up the "climate control" trade off is mold - booyah)

Not only that some of the locations of the building are illegal as is. For example, the building at the end of a "T" intersection of a road "ya know somebudy will get drunk one night and run right into it". My o fucking my.

#29     Aug 27, 2011
  10. jem

jem

But as Juszkiewicz said:
    “So the government’s contention is that because American workers are working on that and finishing it, that it is not a finished product and, therefore, initially Madagascar law – and now I guess they’re contending Indian law – says you can’t remove unfinished product from the market. So in other words, if a person in Madagascar had completed the work on that blank, it would be legal. But the fact that American workers are finishing the work in the United States, makes it illegal, as far as their concerned.”
    “The government’s position is, that is the law of the land in Madagascar and they are saying that is the law of the land in India. That is not the case. The fact is, we have affidavits from numerous government officials – and this court case, specifically now, is forMadagascar wood. We have affidavits from virtually every govt official saying that it is legal, that their definition of what is legal is a fingerboard blank and its been exported within every certification that is necessary. So they have the arrogance to interpret Madagascar law differently than the people of Madagascar.”
    So the jackboots in the Obama administration are wrongly enforcing other countries’ laws and preventing American workers from doing their work here.
    Typical DOJ: Ignore American laws. Foolishly enforce foreign ones at American companies’ expense.
    Just wow.

http://michellemalkin.com/2011/08/26/eco-zealous-feds-target-gibson-guitars-antique-piano-sellers/

#30     Aug 28, 2011