Obama school set to close

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mercor, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Mercor

Mercor

(CNN) – The Barack H. Obama Elementary School in Asbury Park, New Jersey will close its doors July 1st because of low academic achievement and declining enrollment in the district's schools, according to a release from the Asbury Park State Fiscal Monitor's office.

Students at the elementary school, named last year for the president, will attend two other local schools beginning next fall, and School Superintendent Dr. Denise Lowe said the configuration will help improve academic achievement.

"Change is never easy but the district is at a pivotal point where difficult decisions must be made. The consequences of idleness are far greater than the improvisation that is now necessary," Lowe said in a statement Thursday. "While my preference was to restructure the district's schools based on the Pre-K – 3rd grade reform model, I am committed to leading our schools to greater academic achievement no matter the course."

The decision, first reported by the Asbury Park Press, comes after the Asbury Park Board of Education failed to support a plan Lowe proposed to reconfigure elementary grades and keep the Obama school open.

The site will eventually house administrative offices and another school that will relocate at the beginning of the 2012-13 school year.

2. How fitting!

I wonder if the kids sang the Odumbo theme song in that school :p

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6Fjj6a8aBNU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2009/09/children_singing_songs_to_dear.php

Children Singing Songs to Dear Leader
    Posted on: September 28, 2009 9:23 AM, by Ed Brayton

I'm sure you've seen the right wing going apeshit over a bunch of elementary school kids singing a song of praise to President Obama. Guess what? They're right. Children singing songs to a political leader -- any political leader -- is downright creepy and the teachers responsible should get some serious counseling for their very poor judgment.

Of course, they've gone way over the top in their typically irrational way. In a fundraising letter, RNC chairman Michael Steele said "this is the type of propaganda you would see in Stalin's Russia or Kim Jong Il's North Korea. I never thought the day would come when I'd see it here in America." Like seemingly everything else these days, the right responds with invocations of Naziism and Communism.

But while they're right in their objections, they're also hypocrites. There's no need to search for historical analogs in China or the Soviet Union. All Steele had to do was look at President Bush a mere three years ago when he was being serenaded by a group of school children singing a song praising him for, of all things, his quick and effective response to Hurricane Katrina.

By the way, the most over the top response to this tempest in a teapot can be found here:

It began last year in earnest. But, like a virus far worse than H1N1, it is beginning to spread like wildfire amongst the public school indoctrinators formerly known as "teachers." The Obama power grab--supported by his adoring adherents--has just about reached the most monumental proportion of all time. And Dictator-in-Chief Obama may have finally reached the apex of his desires; that of replacing God with himself. Recently, at New Jersey's B. Bernice Youngs Elementary School, not only were second grade students forced to sing a song of praise to Obama (the parents were not notified that this was occurring) but, Obama's name was substituted for that of Jesus in the accompanying words and music...
    Questions: Could this be the reason that the atheists have fought so hard to get rid of Christianity? Is this secular messiah their planned replacement? Even more important a question to Christians and Messianic Jews is 'does this portend biblical end times prophecy'? Kind of sounds so--doesn't it?

Well yes, it certainly does. I mean, if you're a fucking lunatic

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Obviously the feds should have invested a few more billion dollars into this school. Federal money fixes all problems, doesn't it?

5. bpcnabe

bpcnabe

Why was there a school named after a sitting President? Is there precedence for this? And what had he accomplished to get such an honor other then being black?
    "YES WE KAN!!!"