Obama Says Palin Daughter Off Limits

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OldTrader, Sep 1, 2008.

1. I think it's all well and good that both parties are being adult about this matter. It is as it should be. (However, the Republicans' position on teaching kids about abstinence at the expense of teaching birth control -- rather than both -- will likely lose some steam.)

However, I can't help but think how the Republicans and their evangelical base would have responded during Clinton's administration if his daughter had gotten pregnant while still a teenager. I wonder if they would have regarded it as a private matter that was to be off limits. I wonder if they would have resisted trying to drag the entire Clinton family through the mud as being the very antithesis of family values and so on. (I don't think McCain would have allowed it if he had anything to say about it, but I would not be willing to give the same benefit of the doubt to most Right Wingers and especially not to the Bush/Cheney/Rove Smear Machine.)

#21     Sep 2, 2008
  2. Mercor

Mercor

I think is was an easy call for Obama. If he said anything different it would have been ugly..He did what a nice guy would do. He had no choice.

But he also is trying to get cover for Michelle, For months he has been trying to get family out of the media because of his wife's anger issues.

Of course he has no problem plastering his kids all over the convention after he said it was a mistake to put them on TV

#22     Sep 2, 2008
  3. kut2k2

kut2k2

He said it was a mistake to have them interviewed, not a mistake to have them seen.

#23     Sep 2, 2008
  4. Mercor

Mercor

details, details.....lol

Kinda sounds like the same program for Obama......No questions please , only look and listen.

#24     Sep 2, 2008
  5. Please try not to be a doofus. Obama had no issues with the Palins' family photos being circulated among the media, and he made no comments either way. Are you suggesting that all family members should be hidden in a cave? I think Obama simply does not wish for ANY family members on EITHER side to be subject to undue public scrutiny. Is that a little too detailed for you?

#25     Sep 2, 2008
  6. kut2k2

kut2k2

Typical rightwing doubletalk. First you say he said the right thing, the Palin kids should be off limits. Now you say he's wrong to keep his own kids off limits.

Consistency is really impossible for your side.

#26     Sep 2, 2008
  7. The whole damn thing is nonsense.

How's whatever-T-F they do affect the stuff we are supposed to be working on - the economy/jobs/deficit/deflation, immigration, national security, etc?

If people want to elevate this to some kind of national importance, then they should do it on something that matters - like McCain's black baby!! Damn!! Good thing they let us know about that one!!

#27     Sep 2, 2008
  8. Family members who get into the fight are fair game. When Michelle Obama said she was proud of the uS "for the first time" she revealed more about herself and her husband than 100 of his carefully crafted speeches and softball media interviews could. It is totally fair to criticize her, even attack her, for that.

That is far different than trying to destroy some pregnant high school kid because her mom got picked as the running mate.

Normal people understand this easily and, unlike the media, don't require detailed explanations. The media see a republican and a chance to destroy someone and go for it like a pitbull.

#28     Sep 2, 2008
  9. No, I believe you are wrong. She did nothing wrong.

Age of consent in Alaska is 16. That means do whatever you want at 16. We should not even discuss this. In Alaska's view, nothing wrong with a 17 yr old pregnant person. I did under grad in Utah, same age of consent. Saw "teenage" mom's all over the place, and they were great. Who are we to decide when you should have a kid? If it is legal by the State, it is legal for a reason.

LEAVE THEM ALONE.

BTW, I have already been called right wing for this view, supporting the daughter whatever her name is. I actually support abortion rights, and am not even close to right wing. I DO believe we should leave her alone however. She is of age. Period.

#29     Sep 2, 2008
  10. I didn't say she did anything wrong. I said she made a mistake. A "mistake" is not a legal concept.

But really, you miss the larger point entirely. Go back and read my posts. I've made the point repeatedly that this girl should be left alone. In your effort to come out with your legal concept you missed the entire point of the thread...."Palin Daughter Off Limits". All you had to do was read the title. LOL.

OldTrader

#30     Sep 2, 2008