Obama Says Palin Daughter Off Limits

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OldTrader, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Some of the posters here might want to see what Obama has to say about all this:

Obama On Palin Daughter's Pregnancy: Families Are Off Limits
    MONROE, MI -- Barack Obama responded forcefully to questions about the news that Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's daughter Bristol, 17, is pregnant, saying family issues should not be part of this campaign and noting that his own mother had him as a teen.

"Let me be a clear as possible," he told reporters after speaking briefly at a Labor Day BBQ here. "I have said before and I will repeat again, I think people's families are off limits and people's children are especially off limits. This shouldn't be part of our politics. It has no relevance to Gov. Palin's performance as governor or her potential performance as a vice president. So I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories. You know my mother had me when she was 18 and, you know, how a family deals with issues and you know teenage children, that shouldn't be the topic of our politics and I hope that anybody who's supporting me understands that's off limits."

Obama also strongly denied anyone involved in his campaign had been spreading rumors that McCain's running mate had faked her pregnancy to hide her daughter's -- a story that caught fire over the last few days on liberal blogs -- and said he was offended at the suggestion.

"There is no evidence at all that any of this involved us," he said. "We don’t go after people’s families. We don’t get them involved in the politics. It’s not appropriate, and it’s not relevant. Our people were not involved in any way in this and they will not be. And if I ever thought that it was somebody in my campaign that was involved in something like that, they’d be fired."

Obama called the presser to talk about Hurricane Gustav and relay that he was still monitoring the situation closely. He said he had been in touch with FEMA officials and state officials about temporary housing for evacuees and efforts to return them to their homes as soon as possible.

(NBC/NJ's ATHENA JONES)

http://hotlineblog.nationaljournal.com/archives/2008/09/obama_on_palin.html

Posted at 04:37 PM

2. This is called having it both ways. Repeat otherwise objectionable material to announce that you are taking the high road and will not mention it. Again.

So of course the mainstream media will now repeat the whole mess again under the guise of reporting that Obama will not use it.

This would be the same media that was utterly uninterested in credible stories that candidate John Edwards had a mistress and love child and was supporting them out of campaign funds.

3. THAT is why I will vote for him now! I actually believe he has scruples and more class than most of the other candidates we have seen in recent years ! Is he perfect??? No! So maybe I am a fool to trust him. But I am gonna give him a chance! There is no fricking way he can be worse than low IQ Bush was!

At least we KNOW ONE THING FOR SURE! Obama is smart. Harvard Law Review! High IQ. DUH! Does anyone know how hard it is to get into Harvard Law School? So sorry but I'd rather have a really smart guy in office than a yahooooo like Bush who never would have overachieved and became President if not for Daddy Bush!

Like many say he has not been invloved in politics for very long! In my hunmble view that is a GOOD thing. He has not had enough time to be corrupted and sell his soul!

4. And if Obama didn't say anything, then you'd accuse him of tacitly condoning the coverage and attacks with his silence. YOUR conduct is called "having it both ways." You just can't help embarrassing yourself with your intellectual dishonesty, can you?

What OldTrader posted from that blog shows that Obama did the most respectful and honorable thing, and nothing less than what you would expect of a man of character. Thanks for that, OldTrader. To be fair, had the roles been reversed, I think that McCain would have shown the same class.

Try some intellectual honesty once in a while, AAA. It's really quite refreshing.

5. cuz69

cuz69

Iceman,
    I just want to say that I have been arguing my point that McCain And Palin are the right choice for me and Obama is not.
    Although i have attacked BO, I do want to give credit when it is do, and I commend him for his actions and his statement it does show class. It still is not going to make me vote for him, but it was the right thing to do.
    Just do us all one favor, stop comparing BO to BUSH, incase you haven't noticed the ticket reads McCain/Palin. Bush is not running for Prez!!

6. About the 17 year old...
    Not so sure that marrying at that age is the best thing to do. There is so much that she still will want to do, at least that's normally the case in today's society. Maybe they can suppress any of those urges with religious talk and "morals" - but on the other hand - apparently not...

Marrying the dude is a disaster waiting to happen, she will be resentful towards her mother for all the pressure in the future and much more - she's so totally fucked...

7. My sense is that Obama took the high road without any ulterior motive. I respect him for that, even if I don't particularly care for his politics.

The media however may well run this thing into the ground. We'll have to see. If they do, it will be unfortunate. I don't think this 17 year old deserved that.

OldTrader

8. I am still completely baffled why anyone cares. She is 17. Age of consent in Alaska is 16. She can screw anyone she wants. If she was 22 would it make any difference? Most states say 18 is the magic age, but many do not, and its not a national law.

Personally, I could care less. If it was Barak's kid I wouldn't care either (assuming old enough).

I do feel sorry for her however.

9. That's what this Country need more of in political elections and elsewhere..... people with diferent view points who can still respect others, and learn from them.

I hope before I die I see that happen where political elections are about how to make everyone's existence better whereby each party excepts that both sides have good ideas and that these good ideas emanate from good faith, intelligence and a different drummer ! I also would like to see in my lifetime more than TWO political parties with credibility. I would like to see much more humility and the guts to stand up and accept when you are wrong, and not be voted out of office for saying "mea culpa"!

For a long time before I ever came on ET I would say to people that it is good to embarace diversity and diferent points of view. Most people don't get this concept until (maybe) much later in life; but we lose a lot in our lives when we close our minds and hearts to others and their views and ideas and customs and traditions. I used to say to friends how lucky it is that we have so many different food choices from other cultures and ethnicities! Do we really want people to be always just like us? How boring.

But in the final analysis... if you examine food for example, it is all a variation of the same recipe. Same with people. Think about it. In the end we are all the same and all connected. Sure some have DNA that allow them to excel at things we cannot and vice versa........ but at the core of human existence we are all connected.

Its a loss to each of our lives (IMHO) not to embarce diversity. It is a loss to fear others who speak or look differently than us. We don't have to necessarily join them but we should love them.... for as weird and corny and existential as it may sound... they are indeed our brothers and sisters in this universe.

10. I think this is a very truthful observation, and honest.

#10     Sep 1, 2008