Obama received $101,332 Bonus from AIG

Discussion in 'Politics' started by power, Mar 18, 2009.

1. power

power

Senator Barack Obama received a $101,332 bonus from American International Group in the form of political contributions according to Opensecrets.org. The two biggest Congressional recipients of bonuses from the A.I.G. are - Senators Chris Dodd and Senator Barack Obama.

The A.I.G. Financial Products affiliate of A.I.G. gave out $136,928, the most of any AIG affiliate, in the 2008 cycle. I would note that A.I.G.’s financial products division is the unit that wrote trillions of dollars’ worth of credit-default swaps and "misjudged" the risk.

The Washington Post reports a "mob effect" at A.I.G financial products division:

With the anger and rage that is being exhibited against A.I.G., perhaps the bonuses Obama received from A.I.G. explain Obama's A.I.G crocodile tears.

Now that the Wall street Journal has revealed that A.I.G. paid bonuses of $1 million or more to 73 employees, it's time to ask if recipients of A.I.G. "bonuses," including President Obama, will give what now ought to be taxpayer money back?

http://www.examiner.com/x-268-Right...9m3d17-Obama-Received-a-101332-Bonus-from-AIG

2. ssblack

ssblack

LOL! Way to go Senator Tarzan!

3. He needs to give that bonus of his back.

4. it's so funny,

5. power

power

USA situation is similar to Pakistan where there is mass corruption, political instability, government & super-rich people become allies & control country's money. Ordinary people have no idea & no control over government's economic decisions.

USA and Pakistan are allies in war on terror. Now they are allies in economic and political situations.

USA is fast becoming the "next Pakistan".

6. eagle

eagle

What you guys are talking about? Bonuses for employees' performance and political contribution aren't the same. Yes, some employees deserve the bonuses but with the current circumstances they shouldn't be receiving. It's sad for them, but they have to accept the reality. Regarding political contribution, did AIG was already bankrupt when they made that contribution? But anyway every company has the right to contribute (invest) for their country.

7. power

power

So today Barack Obama is USA President from AIG money (to some extent).

Is this the reason why Barack Obama is giving more bail-out money to bankrupt companies than George Bush?.

8. Are you really a moron or do you just play on on ET? This partisan hackery is getting old.

9. You didn't even address the fact that Obama received 100K from AIG.

What do you think about that thunderdog?

10. I don't mind dramatic thread titles, but this one is factually inaccurate.

AIG, Freddie, Fannie and the all the rest of the bad apples gave political contributions to most, if not all politicians, including the GOP and Democratic Nominees for POTUS.

Anyone with a modicum of knowledge knows this.

Therefore, to highlight what Obama received in the form of a political contribution, and not what McCain or other GOP members received, and then furthermore, to call it a 'bonus' given the guidelines for political contributions in the context of political campaigns, is terribly disingenuous, and lacking any credibility.

If you don't think we have a prudent system whereby large corporations are able to provide money in the form of political contributions, take it up with the Supreme Court. You may have a legitimate complaint, but they've deemed such political contributions 'political speech' and subject to constitutional protections.

#10     Mar 18, 2009