Obama On Economy: I Don't Control The Weather

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Dec 9, 2011.

1. pspr

pspr

Obama now says he didn't over promise on the economy. "I don't control the weather."

STEVE KROFT: Do you think that you might have the unemployment rate down to 8 percent by the time the election rolls around?

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: I think it's possible. But…I'm not in the job of prognosticating on the economy. I'm in the job of putting in place the tools that allow the economy to thrive and Americans to succeed. Sometimes when I'm talking to my team, I- describe us…as…I'm the captain and they're the crew on a ship, going through really bad storms. And no matter how well we're steering the ship, if the boat's rocking back and forth and people are getting sick and…they're being buffeted by the winds and the rain and…at a certain point-- if you're asking, "Are you enjoying the ride right now?" Folks are going to say, "No." And are they going to say, "Do you think the captain's good—doing a good job?" People are going say, "You know what? A good captain would have had us in some smooth waters and sunny skies, at this point." And I don't control the weather. What I can control are the policies we're putting in place to make a difference in people's lives.

STEVE KROFT: Did you overpromise? Did you underestimate how difficult this was going to be?

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: I didn't overpromise. And I didn’t-- underestimate how tough this was going to be. I always believed that this was a long-term project…And-- you know, for individual Americans, who are struggling right now, they have every reason to be impatient. Reversing structural problems in our economy that have been building up for two decades, that was going to take time. It was going to take more than a year. It was going to take more than two years. It was going to take more than one term. Probably takes more than one president.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash1.htm

Hmmm. That's not what he was saying in 2009

<iframe title="MRC TV video player" width="640" height="360" src="http://www.mrctv.org/embed/102766" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Only Republican presidents are capable of knowing he future. For example, Bush knew for years that our economy was in serious jeopardy, and would end up in the sh-tter. But he was too occupied with his phonics and vocabulary lessons to do much about it... he just handed the mess to the new President and rode off into the nearest TX saloon!

3. Max E.

Max E.

Obama is the worst president ever, you should learn to accept it so it takes a little bit of the sting out when you watch him fail time after time after time.

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

Sounds like we should elect one then.
    + 1

5. pspr

pspr

He's starting to make even Carter look like a genius.

6. jem

jem

I was still hoping they would do the obvious and change the income tax code to a flat tax of around 10 percent and reform lobbying and maybe take some of Obamacare off business.

Now I am wondering if his team is clueless.
    Would they rather have Obama go down as the worst president in history or a like Clinton become pragmatic and fix things?

7. pspr

pspr

Yes. Its too late to change course now. Obama doesn't listen to advisors, only "yes men".

8. In Obama's analogy, the storm was largely self-created. Obamacare, overreaching by the EPA, out of control deficits, payoffs to backers disguised as stimulus, etc, all created an anti-business atmosphere.

In the past when the country faced a crisis, we pulled together. A president's job is to unite the country behind a common vision. Obama has failed spectacularly at that fundamental task. Instead, he has gone in the opposite direction, inciting class hatred and sowing divisiveness as a crude political strategy.

9. Mercor

Mercor

Unless he wants his EPA to tax carbon. This under the premise that this action will control the weather.

10. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I have never seen such a partisan administration in my entire life. It disgusts me and I hope it disgusts others.

#10     Dec 10, 2011