Obama Makes Huge Mistake Trying To Look Tough

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Aug 1, 2007.

1. You could stop people at random in downtown DC and find plenty of people more qualified to be president than Obama. If he was white, he would be a joke candidate with <1% polling numbers.

#21     Aug 2, 2007
  2. Either Obama is even dumber than I suspected, or he and Hillary have cooked up this routine to make her look good. I can't see how making one idiotic statement after another helps his VP case however. Can you imagine the roasting Dan Quayle would have gotten for this?

Sens. Barack Obama, D-Ill., and Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., sparred over foreign policy as the former first lady implied that the first term senator's comments on the use of nuclear weapons were careless and unpresidential.

(AP) By JAKE TAPPER
    Aug. 2, 2007
    The leading Democratic candidates for president sparred with each other over the issue of nuclear weapons Thursday and the result was pure heat.

In another broadside indicating the increasingly heated race for the Democratic nomination, Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., implied Thursday that comments made by Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., were careless and unpresidential.

Sen. Clinton was referring to Obama's statement earlier in the day that he had ruled out using nuclear weapons against al Qaeda targets in Afghanistan or Pakistan.

Clinton also suggested Obama's high-profile speech earlier in the week in which he said would be willing to invade Pakistan to attack high-profile al Qaeda targets, given actionable intelligence, was inappropriate, further evidence that she is painting her challenger as unprepared for the job of commander in chief.

Democratic Race Goes Nuclear
    Regarding terrorist targets in the Afghanistan/Pakistan region, Obama told The Associated Press Thursday: "I think it would be a profound mistake for us to use nuclear weapons in any circumstance." He then added: "Involving civilians."

Seeming to think twice about his response, Obama then said, "Let me scratch that. There's been no discussion of nuclear weapons. That's not on the table."

Clinton, asked about his remarks Thursday afternoon, took issue with them.

"Presidents should be very careful at all times in discussing the use or nonuse of nuclear weapons," Clinton said. "Presidents since the Cold War have used nuclear deterrence to keep the peace. And I don't believe that any president should make any blanket statements with respect to the use or nonuse of nuclear weapons."

On Wednesday, Obama delivered a major anti-terrorism speech in which he essentially threatened the government of Pakistan that as president he would attack al Qaeda targets in the country with or without the permission of President Gen. Pervez Musharraf. "If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf will not act, we will," Obama said.

#22     Aug 3, 2007
  3. What would Ron Paul's numbers be if he was a young half black man? Why did most of the country desperately want Colin Powell to be president even though they had no idea what his position was on any issue? Those would be the same people who assure pollsters that they choose their candidates solely on the issues.

#23     Aug 3, 2007
  4. Mvic

Mvic

I laughed at Dan Quayle sir and I can tell you Obama is no Dan Quayle, he isn't nearly as funny (infact downright scary with some of his big government plans, sure to sink what is left of the US economy after the waste and spend Bush admistration, Obama's healthcare plan would be a complete disaster).

#24     Aug 3, 2007
  5. hillary is bashing obama for saying he would sit down and talk with rogue leaders... when she said the same exact thing in january. this is all staged... un frikin real... but it is staged. obama is pulling a john kerry... he is going to take one for the team.

#25     Aug 3, 2007
  6. He is seriously messing up big time..

#26     Aug 3, 2007
  7. Turok

Turok

What an AssH***, this jj.

#27     Aug 3, 2007
  8. bighog

bighog Guest

I am going to say Barack Obama is not finished yet...................i always considered it was between him and Hillary............though i would vote for Hillary..............it looks like Obama is still in their punching. I like his tenacity and cool under fire.

HOG OUT!!!!!!

#28     Aug 19, 2007
  9. I think Obama has had a free ride for a long time but now the press is starting to turn up the heat and pickl a part everything he says and does....it will get worse for him...for a time there i wasn;t sure if he was a 1st term senator or Dr. Phil, the way he talked and the media just listened like a fat woman listening to Dr. Phil on Oprah..He is very interesting to me becuase i think he can break up his party ...he's not an insider...its not another "bush or Clinton" and gives people an alternative...but i can;t ever see him carrying the south or many other states...

#29     Aug 20, 2007
  10. Cutten

Cutten

Obama voted against the Iraq invasion. Hillary voted in favour. That alone puts Obama way ahead of her on any foreign policy credibility test.

And in an era in which G W Bush has won 2 consecutive terms in the White House, I don't see how you can describe anyone as a joke candidate anymore.

#30     Aug 22, 2007