Obama Kills Keystone Pipeline

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Jan 18, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

Grand Junction is on the western slope. I've only been there once and was just passing through so I don't have much personal experience. It is somewhat isolated since it is quite a ways from Denver or any other big city. I have a friend that lives there but he never says much about the town.

Durango is much the same but a little more of a college town and a little further south.

If you are like me and enjoy the conviences of being near a big city (Dallas, Atlanta, Denver, Orlando, etc.) you probably will get bored in one of those towns. But, if you like more of a small town atmosphere with lots of wooded rural mountains around, those towns fit the bill.

I know of commercial pilots who live in the mountains and have their own plane to fly into Denver daily or whatever to work. Usually they are closer to Denver because flying in the mountains in a small plane is tricky if not dangerous in the winter with the constant snow storm danger. Just remember that winters are long in the mountains. It's not like living in Georgia. Snow is on the ground 9 months of the year in many places.

Actually, I think the mountains west of Lake Tahoe are georgeous. Maybe not as rugged as the rockies but a very beautiful area to live.

#31     Jan 19, 2012
  2. Ricter

Ricter

Canada is already selling oil to the US, through already existing pipelines, and this is not going to stop. When (if) the Northern Gateway project is approved and built, Canada will sell (more) oil to Asia, and it will continue to sell oil to the US.

#32     Jan 19, 2012
  3. Wallet

Wallet

WRONG

Almost all of it comes here now. However they (Canada) need a more efficient route for delivery as they expect to increase their production over the next several years....... the new pipe line would ensure that, however if we don't want it, some one else will...... and they have already taken steps to see that it happens.

By building the pipeline we ensure that we get first crack at the oil, any we don't want could then be piped to the gulf for overseas sales

Sorry Ricter, there's no way to spin this into a positive. Stay with the left fringe and the environmental issues if you want to oppose the pipeline, which are another cooked up fabrication.. All the other excuses not to build it are political bullshit.

#33     Jan 19, 2012
  4. A pretty big pile on here today, not sure if it's really justified. I, too, think the pipeline should be built, but allowing a little time is no big deal. Maybe bad politics by Obama, actually, rather than some super-thought out scheme?

They passed over your article about the AP probe of Bush, maybe with a bit more thought, that wouldn't have happened.

Not a bad idea to at least get the Environmental Impact studies done before going for it, I guess. I hope it doesn't take too long. We need to get some people working.

c

#34     Jan 19, 2012
  5. pspr

pspr

They have been doing the studies for 3 years. Its time for action not politics from Obama!

#35     Jan 19, 2012
  6. We fought a war in Iraq and spent $TRILLIONS... just to have "first crack" at their oil...

What did that get us?

#36     Jan 19, 2012
  7. +1

c

#37     Jan 19, 2012
  8. Wallet

Wallet

I didn't know we were at war with our neighbors to the north? Instead of spending trillions of tax dollars overseas with questionable results, why not let private enterprise spend it here in the US and supply jobs?

Once again the current administration stands in the way of job creation and reducing our dependency on foreign oil.....

#38     Jan 19, 2012
  9. Ricter

Ricter

Well, the PCRs (project change requests) have been distributed. Drafting, engineering, land survey, all are busy again with a reroute proposal. For a dead project it sure is a lot of work.

#39     Jan 19, 2012
  10. Right, I don't see this a a dead project. I see it trying to get to a point where there won't be, or shouldn't be, major objections from any significant number of zealots.

Yes, spend the money here. Put people to work. Do the right thing, hopefully sooner than later. I am hoping to see something with 3 months or so. Maybe a bit too optimistic, a cross I have to bear.

c

#40     Jan 19, 2012