Obama Kills Keystone Pipeline

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Jan 18, 2012.

1. 377OHMS

377OHMS

+1

I'm trying to think of any area of Nebraska that could be considered "ecologically sensitive". The whole place is a wasteland already.

#21     Jan 18, 2012
  2. pspr

pspr

Hey! Don't be dissin' Nebraska.

The concern is a spill contaminating the Ogallala Aquifer which waters the nation's bread basket. The aquifer stretches from western Nebraska to Texas.

#22     Jan 18, 2012
  3. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Ogallala, my favorite bay rum! Love the bay rum with lime and peppercorns. Great stuff.

[​IMG]

#23     Jan 18, 2012
  4. Yes, and let's stop bad mouthing infrastructure jobs. We are falling apart, physically, literally, because of the lack of maintenance. I have traveled a lot, across the Country. I love it, and I feel saddened that our children may not have the same opportunity.

Sure, please build the pipeline, with proper sanctions and safety. Sure, rebuild America. Stop rebuilding the ME, let them fix their own stuff.

edit: Hey, Nebraska is beautiful. The Oracle from Omaha wouldn't be there if it wasn't. :)

c

#24     Jan 18, 2012
  5. pspr

pspr

Rum and coke with a lime (cuba libre) is my usual drink. I prefer Myers Dark Rum but I don't recall ever trying Ogallala Rum.

I'm not sure why Buffett stays in Omaha. Maybe he likes the Zoo or he likes being punished with the bad weather. Although the people and bird hunting are top notch. He does give money to the University of Nebraska but won't spend a dime to help with the football stadium or program. In Nebraska university sports programs need to be financially self sustaining or facilities built with donations/loans. They don't get a wad of money from the state like many other schools do.

#25     Jan 18, 2012
  6. 377OHMS

377OHMS

I looked it up. Nebraska is a huge part of the bird migratory path for the Western Hemisphere.

I was wrong about the wasteland comment. My apology is offered. When I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

We used to vacation at an amazing rock-formation/forest in Nebraska when I was a kid. I remember it being called Medicine Hat Rocks but I can't find mention on the interweb. Do you know what that place is called? It was gorgeous.

Ogallala bay rum is a line of aftershaves. You've gotta try it.

My favorite rum cocktail is Coke and Pusser's British Navy Rum.

#26     Jan 18, 2012
  7. pspr

pspr

Medicine Hat Rocks? There is a Medicine Creek State Recreation Area near McCook but I'm not familiar with it. There are supposed to be some neat forested areas in the sand hills in the panhandle but I never got there as a kid. We usually went to places closer since it was a long way from Omaha. When I lived in Colorado if something in NE wasn't on I-80 from Denver to Omaha I didn't get there. I-80 follows the Platte River valley which is totally flat and boring. That's why people who drive through Nebraska tell a story of a flat boring state.

I did spend a lot of time in the northern Colorado rockies. There is some beautiful country up there.

#27     Jan 18, 2012
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

You have any knowledge/opinion on Grand Junction?
    I've done some "best places to live" searches and it comes up frequently.

#28     Jan 19, 2012
  9. Ricter

Ricter

I'm an ex-Coloradoan myself. Grand Junction is west Colorado, called the "west slope". Dry, warm, windy. Lot of ex-hippies, artists, and granola heads in the area [edit: and ranchers].

#29     Jan 19, 2012
  10. Wallet

Wallet

#30     Jan 19, 2012