Obama Hires Paul Volcker

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Landis82, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Where is ALL of this INFLATION that you are talking about?

Crude oil is at $53.00 per barrel.
    Gasoline prices are under $2.00 per gallon.
    Housing prices have dropped 50%.

U.S. October CPI fell by 1.0%
    Wholesale prices fell by 2.8% in October.
    That's the BIGGEST single drop in 60 years!!!

Please show me where ALL of this inflation is???

#21     Nov 26, 2008
  2. Daal

Daal

have you been to the alex jones tshirt shop latetly?prices have been through the roof, check out loose change dvds up 15% yoy :D

#22     Nov 26, 2008
  3. Food has definitely been stickiest to fall.. Can't wait until restaurants pass down lower costs.

#23     Nov 26, 2008
  4. Very true.

#24     Nov 26, 2008
  5. 1. I said I read Volcker was instrumental in taking us off the gold standard. The gold standard kept the inflation in check because you can’t print more money. Taking us off of it allowed all of the inflation to be created. Then we praised him for curing it in the 80’s. Why don’t we just have a stable currency in the first place so we don’t have inflation?

2. I can’t find much info on Tim Geithner’s voting record. Most of the stuff I read said that he orchestrated the Bear Stearns bailout and generally agrees with all of the actions that have been taken by the Fed and treasury. 2003 was certainly plenty of time to try to stop the huge increase in the money supply. The fact that he hasn’t been well known until now shows that he goes along with the status quo.

3. Interest rates are two sided. How does keeping the FF rate at 1% help those who need the interest money? Seniors who have saved their whole lives are not getting any investment income due to artificially low interest rates. They have been completely forgotten. Higher interest rates help preserve the value of the dollar.

4. At least we agree on something. The economy should be the top priority. But Obama promised to end the war. I don’t see how he’ll be able to do that by keeping Gates.

#25     Nov 26, 2008
  6. I don't have time to respond to your posts anymore because you fail to see how a 1% Fed Funds rate stimulated the Economy. It's pretty basic stuff, really.

As for Secretary Gates, he will be in charge of executing Obama's policy directive to withdraw troops from Iraq. Obama is the commander in chief. He creates military policy. Gates' function at Secretary of Defense is to take orders from the Commander in Chief and execute the policy directive.

Secretary of Defense Gates will also be responsible for executing Obama's desire to increase troops in Afghanistan.

Again, these are basics.
    Why you are unable to understand that is absolutely beyond any rationale whatsoever.

Good Day.

#26     Nov 26, 2008
  7. A dollar in 1913 when the Fed was created is now worth 5 cents. There's your inflation.

Crude was at $25 a few years ago. Do you not remember when it hit $147? June had the highest CPI in years. We all know the method for calculating the CPI is bogus. They should just use the money supply to calculate inflation, but unfortunately the Fed doesn't publish those anymore. Probably because they don't want you to know how much money they're printing up.

First off, housing prices are not down 50%. Commodity prices are down due to the temporary drop in the money supply due to the credit crunch. Plus they were overvalued in the first place. Banks are hesitant to lend, so the money supply has dropped, at least there is the appearance of that. I think they are printing money like crazy now to bail everybody out, but it's not quite in the system yet.

#27     Nov 26, 2008
  8. You have no idea what you are talking about.
    Wrong again buddy.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h6/Current/

#28     Nov 26, 2008
  9. I was going to jump in on Volcker, but Landis seems to have everything under control. :)

#29     Nov 26, 2008
  10. Don't count on it. I work at a restaurant and they won't lower prices unless they have to. They might offer specials on certain things, but don't expect more than that.

#30     Nov 26, 2008