Obama for President?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by toc, Oct 23, 2006.

1. toc

toc

This is one scary nonsense creeping upto 2008 elections. Will the USA Inc. be able to further withstand the 'inexperience' of experimental leaders. In other words, after 8 years of Bushfest, US desperately needs a solid thoguhtful leader. I will take Hillary, Kerry, McCain anytime over any 'Oprah Recommendation'. US should STOP experimenting.

WASHINGTON - Sen. Barack Obama acknowledged Sunday he was considering a run for president in 2008, backing off previous statements that he would not do so.

The Illinois Democrat said he could no longer stand by the statements he made after his 2004 election and earlier this year that he would serve a full six-year term in Congress. He said he would not make a decision until after the Nov. 7 elections.

"That was how I was thinking at that time," said Obama, when asked on NBC's "Meet the Press" about his previous statements.

"Given the responses that I've been getting over the last several months, I have thought about the possibility" although not with the seriousness or depth required, he said. "My main focus right now is in the '06. ... After November 7, I'll sit down, I'll sit down and consider, and if at some point I change my mind, I will make a public announcement and everybody will be able to go at me."

Obama was largely unknown outside Illinois when he burst onto the national scene with a widely acclaimed address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

In recent weeks, his political stock has been rising as a potentially viable centrist candidate for president in 2008 after former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner announced earlier this month that he was bowing out of the race.

In a recent issue of Time magazine, Obama's face fills the cover next to the headline, "Why Barack Obama Could Be The Next President." He is currently on a tour promoting his latest book, "The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream."

On Sunday, Obama dismissed notions that he might not be ready to run for president because of his limited experience in national politics. He agreed the job requires a "certain soberness and seriousness" and "can't be something you pursue on the basis of vanity and ambition."

"I'm not sure anyone is ready to be president before they're president," Obama said. "I trust the judgment of the American people.

"We have a long and rigorous process. Should I decide to run, if I ever did decide to run, I'll be confident that I'll be run through the paces pretty good," Obama said.

2. sprstpd

sprstpd

What you call "experimenting", other people might call a "fresh start."

Inexperience may lead to a bad presidency, but certainly what the person stands for counts for something too. It would certainly be a gamble.

3. toc

toc

Hillary with Evan Bayh as VP and Bill Clinton as Sec. of State would be an excellent 'Turnaround' team that US Inc. is looking for.

4. yvberj

yvberj

I can't completely agree with you. I happen to like H. Clinton I think she's a very intelligent woman and if she wins the Dem. Primary I will support her. The problem is that I think she carries a lot of excess baggage.

Unfortunately, the Pub. hate mongers will have a field day with her. If you remember, when Bill Clinton came into office, she came in like a bull in a china shop and although she has done a great job, considering she's a first termer, while she's been in the Senate she still creates a lot of divisiveness. What is needed now is someone that can bring this country back together, if that's possible, and obama although he is new, has the demeanor to be able to do that. The man is brilliant. It appears he studies issues in depth as opposed to just from a political perspective.

There's alot more I can say, but in a nutshell, at this point in time I think he would make a better choice.

5. gnome

gnome

Obama? "O-tay"!

6. hcour

hcour Guest

The U.S. will not be electing a female or a black president or even vice-president in the near future, no matter their qualifications or lack thereof. This country is simply not that far along yet.

H

7. agpilot

agpilot

Hello Toc. You wrote: This is one scary nonsense creeping upto 2008 elections. Will the USA Inc. be able to further withstand the 'inexperience' of experimental leaders-----------------

Somewhat like the image JFK had back in the '60 before he was elected... He handled the Cuban crisis with Russia fairly well ( no nukes and no huge loss of fighting men) Quite the opposite of Iraq and Bush... JFK was too young also or so some said.
    Inexperience is only one of many factors. I'd like an honest person elected for a change of pace. To me it seems like the more experience most elected people get, the more they lie...

agpilot

8. LT701

LT701

he took office of senator last year on January 4, 2005

on january 3rd of last year, his highest office to date?

STATE Senator

How long do you think it takes to plan for an announcement to run for president, and write a book?

in my opinion, he shows a complete lack of commitment to the office he holds and obtained with the thinnest of credentials - could it be any more blatent it was nothing more than a stepping stone?

frankly, what i hear from his supporters is, that if you vote for him, that proves you're not a racist

i'll pass

9. LT701

LT701

jfk had at least been congressman and senator

obama has only been senator since LAST YEAR, prior to that only state senator

and as far as bush goes, is bush the new standard? as long as you're no worse than bush?

that's wrong thinking

we need the BEST candidate, period

someone like Sam Nunn, although i doubt he'd ever run

the first i'd ever heard about obama, was that he should be president

i was floored at the time, to learn he'd never served a day above state senator

it was a complete turnoff

everyone's just a stepping stone to a guy like that

10. ddunbar

ddunbar Guest

A Buckwheat reference?

Hmmm... rather than comedy, many would interpret that as racist.

#10     Oct 23, 2006