Obama- Executive or Intern?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NeoRio1, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Publix i am not denying that Obama's life has been influential to those who are in dire situations. The problem is that living an influential life is no where close to being able to qualify for the biggest executive position in the country. Why can't you wait another 10-15 years for Obama to prove he can make decisions?

#21     Sep 27, 2008
  2. American presidential elections are binary choices either or. What makes you think McCain is qualified? He spent many years in the senate so what. The irony in all of this is that republicans in 2000 chose king george over mccain but now republicans think mccain is way better than obama. Bush has turned out to be a universal catastrophe all around and I believe if republicans did not like mccain in 2000 vs bush I see no reason to choose him over obama.

Any perceived lack of foreign policy credentials will be addressed by biden.

#22     Sep 27, 2008
  3. This concept that Obama has never made an important position, yet finds himself in a position to be president makes it seem like he is Chauncey Gardiner who stumbled into everything he has ever done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Being_There

You don't get to the position Obama is in without making many decisions, important ones.

When I watch the difference between McCain and Obama answering questions, I see one person who actually thinks about the question, ponders the question, and then formulates an answer.

The other essentially says "I am a leader, I am going to change D.C. trust me."

It comes down to a choice of someone who is living in the past century for the most part, thinking that America can be what it once was...and someone who understands the rest of the world is catching up and that we need to learn how to work with the rest of the world, that we will be forced to get along more knowing that we don't have the resources we once had to dictate to the rest of the world what they should be doing.

I can understand how AAA and the other right wingers feel that Obama is an elitist, intellectual inferiority complexes will do that every time...

#23     Sep 27, 2008
  4. I don't know why it's seen as an asset to be 62 years old when elected. Why must the country be ruled by geriatrics?

#24     Sep 27, 2008
  5. Really? My interpretation is that he chooses to think before speaking. Is that so foreign to you?
    Really? Obama an "elitist?" Because he came from humble beginnings whereas McCain came from affluence by comparison? Because Obama has only one house and car whereas McCain has 7 residences and 13 automobiles?

And condescending? You mean the way McCain almost never even looked at Obama during the debate and kept shaking his head with his repeated "You don't understand." Is that the kind of condescension you are referring to?

How do you even begin to swallow your own spin? You don't have to like the guy. No one is forcing you to do so. But why do you feel compelled to make this stuff up, or swallow it whole with your eyes closed the moment you hear it?

#25     Sep 27, 2008
  6. Your work as an intern at Obama headquarters is not a real job, if that's what you're asking. Neither is running errands for Tony Rezko.

#26     Sep 27, 2008
  7. I think you meant 72, but I would agree that McCain is older than ideal. It's not that Obama is too young, it's that he lacks relevant experience and any kind of track record of success. Like another poster said, we don't have a record of him being tested and making decisions. Has he run a great campaign? Yes, no question, but if that's the criterion then we should be electing David Axelrod. Campaigning, particularly with a fawning media protecting you, is not governing.

We have a choice between a guy who seems capable but who is untested, unvetted and who has made terrible choices in associates in the past. Until he got the nomination, his politics have been from the extreme left. The other choice is a guy who is older than ideal, who has made some courageous decisions and also some questionable ones. He has a long record of bipartisanship and has tried to defuse disputes with compromises. Frankly, I don't like either of them, but McCain is by far the safer choice.

#27     Sep 27, 2008
  8. OK, I was wrong. Working at 31 flavors is a real job. So he's got that going for him.

#28     Sep 27, 2008
  9. I meant 62. If Obama has to wait 15 years to be "experienced" then he'd be 62.

I don't know, I think registering 400,000 people is a success by any measure.

It's ironic you say that when the press has run more negative articles about Obama than McCain.

Clearly he's made plenty of decisions, 4000 votes in the State Senate, 800 bills sponsored -- you just don't agree with him personally.

Boy is that the truth. McCain has hung out with at least two pastors, one who has said that all the Jews must die (then McCain accepted his endorsement.) Plus there's the lobbyists, the whole Keating thing, etc. etc.

The extreme left would be nationalizing industry. Clearly Obama is not from the extreme left.

Lots of questionable decisions, a decent guy, few courageous decisions, and his record of bipartisanship includes Obama (where they both sponsored bills, for example).

McCain is also a hothead, and so not the safer choice.

#29     Sep 27, 2008