Obama: Egypt Is NOT An Ally

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Sep 13, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

What sort of an idiot do we have in the White House to say something like that at this time? Maybe if he would attend his security briefings he would know his own foreign policy and that as established by our government.

President Barack Obama didn't intend to signal any change in the U.S.-Egypt relationship last night when he said Egypt is not an "ally," the White House told The Cable today.

In an interview with Telemundo Wednesday night, Obama said that the U.S. relationship with the new Egyptian government was a "work in progress," and emphasized that the United States is counting on the government of Egypt to better protect the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, which was attacked by protesters on Sept. 11.

"I don't think that we would consider them an ally, but we don't consider them an enemy," Obama said. "They're a new government that is trying to find its way. They were democratically elected. I think that we are going to have to see how they respond to this incident."

That comment had Egypt watchers scratching their heads, especially since technically, Egypt was designated as a Major Non-NATO Ally in 1989 when Congress first passed the law creating that status, which gives them special privileges in cooperating with the United States, especially in the security and technology areanas.

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/p...s_obama_s_statement_that_egypt_is_not_an_ally

2. Is Egypt acting like an ally? Something wrong with having an open mind, and not bending over? He didn't call them the Axis of Evil or anything. This is a bit of a non event, IMO. And, again, this is last night's news.

3. When your a foreign policy expert, that's how you talk. Little o this, little o that, maybe they is, maybe they ain't, all the while saying a whole lot of nothing.

4. But the point is, as President, you don't shoot your mouth off recklessly on issues like this. They are officially a US ally. That makes little sense to me, but it is what it is. We send them billions in aid every year because of their status.

Sheesh, talk about amateur hour.

5. I see you have not taken your daily dose of leftist media kool-aid. Obama is the foreign policy expert and Romney is the untested amateur. Obviously his wisdom is far beyond your limited comprehension. Yum, this kool-aid be mighty tastey today.

6. I have to give credit to obama he got it right egypt is NOT an ally.
    Of course the follow-up question to obama is:
    wtf are we doing we giving them money?

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Haven't you heard, Uncle Ben cranked up the printing presses again today.
    It's "free" money.

8. That' figures, the only thing stupider than dumping money into the economy is "dumping money outside the economy".

9. Well, I'm wondering the same thing. Time to reeavaluate our relationship.

#10     Sep 13, 2012