Obama: Does Romney want ‘to start another war’ in Middle East?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Sep 24, 2012.

1. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...t-another-war-middle-014855301--election.html

Obama: Does Romney want ‘to start another war’ in Middle East?

President Barack Obama hit back hard in a "60 Minutes" interview broadcast Sunday at Mitt Romney's criticisms of his handling of Syria and Iran, saying that if the Republican standard-bearer "is suggesting that we should start another war, he should say so."

Obama also brushed aside talk that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has been pressuring him to take a harder line on Iran's suspicious nuclear program — source of some of Romney's sharpest campaign-trail criticisms.

"When it comes to our national security decisions-- any pressure that I feel is simply to do what's right for the American people. And I am going to block out any noise that's out there," the president said.

"Now I feel an obligation -- not pressure but obligation -- to make sure that we're in close consultation with the Israelis-- on these issues, because it affects them deeply," Obama said. "They're one of our closest allies in the region. And we've got an Iranian regime that has said horrible things that directly threaten Israel's existence."

Romney has accused Obama of not doing enough to curb Iran's nuclear program, which Tehran says is a civilian energy program but America and its allies say is an effort to develop the ability to build a nuclear weapon. He has also charged that the president has done too little to help rebels against Syrian strongman Bashar al-Assad topple his regime as the civil war there has left perhaps as many as 20,000 dead.

Asked about those criticisms, Obama bristled.

"Let's see what I've done since I came into office: I said I'd end the war in Iraq. I did. I said that we'd go after Al Qaeda. They've been decimated in the FATA," he said, referring to Pakistan's Federally Administered Tribal Areas, along the remote border with Afghanistan. "That we'd go after bin Laden. He's gone. So I've executed on my foreign policy. And it's one that the American people largely agree with."

"So if Governor Romney is suggesting that we should start another war, he should say so," Obama said. That remark echoed suggestions from some of the president's advisers that Romney relies on so-called "neoconservative" advisers like those who championed the war in Iraq under President George W. Bush.

2. "When it comes to our national security decisions, any pressure that I feel is simply to do what's right for the American people," Obama said. "And I am going to block out any noise that's out there."

The President was presidential! Another person could have referred to the noise by something like "noise from the barking dogs".

3. Calling out chickenhawk Romenys warmongering,great job.President O is running one of the best campaigns in history.

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

I should hope so considering the time he's put into it. In fact, has he done anything this entire year but campaign?

Take off your beer goggles AK. I swear to christ Obama could piss in your corn flakes while farting in your face and you'd still give him a high five and tell him what a great job he's doing.

5. And putting only little time in it! The exact opposite (in time and performance) of R.

6. +1

Obama learned a lot from Kerrys fail campaign.Bush would hit him and Kerry would fail to respond.Romney hits Obama and Obama immediately hits him back twice as hard.Cant wait to see Obama do it to him in the debates

7. Lucrum,please stop making these gross ass posts

8. This is what i would call statesmanship. Now watch Bibi go quiet until the election.:).

9. its nice to have a thinking man as president.

10. Exactly , especially when one hears Romney saying ''its not my job to worry about the 47% who depends on government'' and wanting to be President at the same time. Its his people in the red states who are most dependent on government.

You should keep telling Jem to knock some sense into Romney.:(.

#10     Sep 24, 2012