Obama Creates Constitutional Crisis Again

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Jan 16, 2012.

1. pspr

pspr

Do we have a Constitution or don't we?

President Obama is facing a new legal challenge to three recess appointments he made to the National Labor Relations Board earlier this month. Mark Mix, President of the National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation (NRWLDF), says the president's actions have created "a constitutional crisis."

Mix, and others critical of the appointments, say Obama has stepped beyond the powers granted to the executive branch. They argue that since the Senate remained in session throughout the holidays, he had no authority to make recess appointments. Mix adds, "I think what he said is, 'I don't care what the Constitution says here, process be damned, I'm going to do what I want.'"

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...intments-create-constitutional/#ixzz1jfTT1uNd

2. Ricter

Ricter

What does the Constitution say about pro forma sessions?

3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Again, I think it was the Senate was playing games when it tried to remain in session by having a rotating senator come in just to gavel in and out (so Obama couldn't do this).

In my opinion, Congress got what it was due in playing asinine games like that. I'm on Obama's side for this one.

4. pspr

pspr

During the Bush Admin. they agreed that this tactic did indeed keep the Senate in session and thus, recess appointments were unconstitutional.

Now, Obama has shredded that understanding and the constitutionality of the practice will be decided by the courts. Will Obama comply if the courts decide against him or will he create a REAL constitutional crisis?

We keep approaching the brink under Obama.

5. Well, you shouldn't be.

The NLRB will abolish the private ballot vote in determining whether a shop will become union or not.

More police state tactics.

(Can you think of ANYTHING Odumbo tried to cram down our throats or "sneak by" Congress which has been good for the citizenry?)

6. pspr

pspr

7. OK, fair enough. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

c

8. pspr

pspr

Right. I think the U.S. Chamber of Commerce has already filed suit over one or more of the appointments. So, we'll have to see how that turns out. I'm not sure what sort of time frame we are looking at for a resolution.

Lots of important stuff should be decided before election day though:

ObamaCare
    Birth Certificate Issues
    and this power grab
    (seems like there is something else in the courts but it slips my mind)

9. Well, wouldn't count on much on the birth certificate. The health care issue may have some traction. My feelings are more along the line that since half of all Americans are already covered by some sort of Gov't healthcare anyway (Medicare, military, local and state, etc.), even Congress, which seems to be working fine, why not include everyone. I don't fear the socialized health care label. I have many friends in Canada, UK, and elsewhere who swear by it.

Power grab? Not sure what you mean? The appointments? I read where Obama's recess appointments are a fraction of previous presidents. However, I am not a fan of this, by any president. I support congressional approval.

Again, we'll have to see.

c

#10     Jan 16, 2012