Obama can instill civic responsibility – through a mandatory Youth Corps

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TraderZones, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Yeah, but at least if they are occupied by ethnic cleansing and political intimidation assignments, they won't be worried about Heidi and Spence, Britney Spears, or American Idol.

At least with the Obama Youth Corps they can have a future.

They will have a hand in shaping America instead of just sitting around running up credit card debt watching the boob tube all day.

Think about it.

#21     Jan 27, 2009
  2. 151

Guys come on there isn't much wrong with youth corps or any of this stuff. The big freaking problem is the MANDANTORY part.

I am truly awed that Americans would even consider this.

I can promise you if someone tries to force my children into service I will shoot them between the eyes.

And if my kid ever tries to pull that emo shit I'll give him something to be emotional about.

Damn when did America turn into a nation of pussies?

#22     Jan 27, 2009
  3. i heard senator chris dodd push this stuff in the presidential primary, as he seems to be forever re-living his 1960s peace corps experience, and supported FORCING kids to relive his experience

he seemed to favor having the your 'give back' to the country. what he didnt consider, is that kids will forever be 'giving back' for his FUCKUPS on the senate banking committee (because he was to busy bucking for promotion to president) and his vote for the iraq war

so after being drafted, if they come back alive, they can pay taxes for the rest of their lives for the bailout of the banks

nice idea dodd, but i think they're going to giving a lot back as it is

FUCK youth corps

as far as the emo stuff goes, i dont think it's fair to paint all kids with that brush - for 50 years, if not longer, there's always been a counterculture set, going back to the beatniks. many outgrow it and become good citizens

#23     Jan 27, 2009
  4. Heh

Yeah I agree.

It's a good idea, just like the volunteer military is.

It's the MANDATORY part that gets me, like 151 said.

I think it could present a good opportunity for some, but by no means should people be forced into some sort of service. Major potential for abuse there.

Although, if it's mandatory, there is a much greater chance of unrest and revolt in the event they start doing stupid shit to fellow Americans.

#24     Jan 27, 2009
  5. LOL in disgust. The same people that were complaining that Bush never asked Americans to make any sacrifice are now bitching when Obama does ask. You guys are such fucking free loaders. Always with some boogie man excuse to keep you from some civic responsibility. Just admit it, you're a bunch a lazy fucking cowards.

#25     Jan 27, 2009
  6. Freeloaders?

These kids have already had their futures mortgaged. In their lifetime, they'll be paying 75% of their income to the government.

Paying your taxes to help a support an army isn't a civic responsibility too?

#26     Jan 27, 2009

7. Asking for people to give back is one thing...MAKING them do it is another matter entirely.

P.S. You called me a lazy freeloading fucking coward for my views...I did my service, what about you?

#27     Jan 27, 2009
  8. USMC baby 69-73. I paid for my freedom in spades.

#28     Jan 27, 2009
  9. Tuff shit! Every generation has had their future mortgaged. I say everybody needs to be shot at a couple of times. We'd have less wars in the long run.

#29     Jan 27, 2009
  10. Well, much respect brother. Yes you did and thanks for your service, even though it was before I was even born. ha ha

I think everyone SHOULD give back to their country. It is the best country on this planet. Bar none. That is definitely NOT what I meant, for the record.

I just don't like the idea of it being MANDATORY.

I'm not against the idea at all. Having a chance to serve something bigger than yourself and travel the world, etc has a tremendous benefit on a young mind.

Making it mandatory creates massive abuse potential, though. IMO.

#30     Jan 27, 2009