Obama Calls Trump Unfit For Presidency

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Aug 2, 2016.

1. There is a longstanding tradition in this country that lame duck presidents refrain from getting overly involved in the next election. Ike barely did anything for Nixon in 1960, Reagan maintained a respectful distance from the Bush campaign, even Bill Clinton did little campaigning for Al Gore, George Bush was pretty much absent from McCain's campaign.

There is a good reason for this tradition. Having the sitting president out on the campaign trail or attacking a candidate lowers respect for the office, and creates a banana republic climate.

Leave it to Obama to ignore another of our country's traditions however. He waded into the campaign today, calling Trump "unfit" and "woefully unprepared" for the presidency. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...y_has_to_be_a_point_where_you_say_enough.html

The irony here is unavoidable, since Obama himself was probably the most unprepared and unfit candidate for the office in modern times. Seven and a half years of disasters later, it should be obvious that being a race hustler and community organizer in corrupt Chicago is not good prep for the Oval Office.

Obama's reckless language carries a more worrying threat however. He made it a point to say Trump was unfit not on policy grounds but on more general grounds of character and temperament. No doubt encouraged by the way cowardly republicans have backed a shady pakistani immigration lawyer over their party's candidate, Obama called on republicans to abandon trump. He went even further:

"There has to come a point at which you say somebody who makes those kinds of statements doesn't have the judgment, the temperament, the understanding to occupy the most powerful position in the world," Obama said at the event with PM Lee Hsien Loong.

"There has to be a point in which you say this is somebody I can't support for president of United States," the president said. "There has to be a point in which you say 'enough.'"

Obama is edging up to some very dangerous ground here. He is close to saying that no matter the outcome of the election, Trump cannot be allowed to take office. This kind of talk would be disturbing coming from any public official. Coming from the president it conjures up visions of tanks in the street and Turkish-style repression.

If a republican president had made a similar statement, the cable channels and print media's collective heads would have exploded by now. Every republican leader would have been challenged to repudiate the statements and most of them would have obliged. Instead, we'll get agreement from the media and silence from republicans.

2. Ricter

Ricter

Is that like the tradition where candidates release their tax returns?

piezoe likes this.
  3. Ricter

Ricter

"While he doesn’t doubt their sincerity, Obama said, there comes a point where you have to say “somebody who makes those kinds of statements doesn’t have the judgment, the temperament, the understanding to occupy the most powerful position in the world because a lot of people depend on the White House getting stuff right.”

"This comes down to more than “policy disagreements” he added.

“I recognize that they all profoundly disagree with myself or Hillary Clinton on tax policy or on certain elements of foreign policy,” Obama said of Republicans. “But you know, there have been Republican presidents with whom I disagreed with, but I didn’t have a doubt that they could function as president.”

"Obama recalled his policy battles with Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney when running against them in 2008 and 2012. Even then, he “never thought that they couldn’t do the job.”

“And had they won, I would have been disappointed, but would have said to all Americans, ‘This is our president, and I know they’re going to abide by certain norms and rules and common sense, will observe basic decency,’” he said. “But that’s not the situation here.”

4. More straw man stupidity from the village idiot...

5. Ricter

Ricter

Drumpf says, "all I know is what I read on the internet." It's pretty clear, on the internet, that Russia has already invaded Ukraine. Maybe Drumpf isn't even reading the internet.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    futurecurrents and Max E. like this.

6. I agree with Obama. I agree that Trump is woefully inadequate, and I agree that it is Obama's responsibility to say so.

I would add, not only is he unprepared but is mentally ill. There is no constitutional allowance for holding an impeachment trial BEFORE somebody is elected, but I am absolutely certain that should the forces of ignorance afoot in the country manage to get him elected he will be impeached shortly after he takes office. It's already clear, from the large number of republicans aghast at his inappropriateness, that it wouldn't take much for congress to convict.

7. Ricter

Ricter

Lol @ impeach before elected joke.

But, if Drumpf wins don't you think Congress would probably remain in rep control?

8. fhl

fhl

The people who claim to be fit and experienced, who the media claim are fit and experienced, who the billionaires say are fit and experienced, gave you this:

Illinois´ Obamacare plans seek
    big 2017 premium hikes

Chicago Tribune, by Lisa Schencker
    Original Article
    Posted By: brianod1- 8/2/2016 1:45:16 PM Post Reply
    Insurers want to crank up the cost of health insurance premiums by as much as 45 percent for Illinois residents who buy coverage through the Affordable Care Act´s marketplace.

How could it be any more obvious that the pols, the media and the billionaires are all full of shiite.
    It's positively frightening that there are people ignorant enough to fall for it. Right here on this forum.

Clubber Lang likes this.
  9. Obama has already stated, "Trump will not succeed me in office".

Meaning, if Trump wins election... (1) Obama will arrange for his assassination? (2) Obama will declare martial law before Trump's inauguration??

Seems to me as an American... HILLARY SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO TAKE OFFICE!

Clubber Lang likes this.
  10. The dem convention was the one featuring a parade of people with double digit IQs but never mind. If your scenario plays out, we will have open warfare in the streets.

That would be a coup similar to what the CIA engineered in Ukraine. A very real possibility would be the breakup of the country. At the least it would be ungovernable.

Obama needs to exercise some self discipline for once or stick to playing golf for the next few months. His miserable tenure is almost over and he needs to start coming to grips with that.

#10     Aug 2, 2016
    Clubber Lang likes this.