Obama blames Bush for oil Spill

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Hello, May 27, 2010.

1. Hello

Hello

This guy is the biggest ass hole ever to be in office, he can not accept responsibility for anything.

Angry Obama Seeks to Deflect Blame for Gulf Oil Spill Crisis

The president seemed genuinely angry today, on a beautiful spring afternoon in the Rose Garden. Having watched him on a daily basis for about a year and a half, I'm confident he wasn't faking it.

He seems deeply upset about the growing calamity in the Gulf, about the environmental damage, about the irresponsibility of the companies involved, and about their efforts to shift the blame.

"I did not appreciate what I considered to be a ridiculous spectacle during the congressional hearings into this matter," he intoned. "You had executives of BP and Transocean and Halliburton falling over each other to point the finger of blame at somebody else."

President Obama may have decried finger-pointing today, but he also did a fair amount of it himself. Not only at the three companies, but at previous administrations.

Here's what he said today when he turned the finger at the federal government:

"For too long, for a decade or more, there has been a cozy relationship between the oil companies and the federal agency that permits them to drill. It seems as if permits were too often issued based on little more than assurances of safety from the oil companies. That cannot and will not happen anymore." (watch the video at left)

"A decade or more" clearly encompasses the Bush Administration, and may include the Clinton years too. But Mr. Obama's been president for nearly 16 months. Does he get at least a little piece of the blame?

Not a bit, he made clear. He portrayed his administration as valiantly fighting the good fight against the oil companies from day one:

"Now, from the day he took office as Interior Secretary, Ken Salazar has recognized these problems and he's worked to solve them. Often times he has been slammed by the industry, suggesting that somehow these necessary reforms would impede economic growth. Well, as I just told Ken, we are going to keep on going to do what needs to be done."

So while the president is pointing the finger of blame, he's also working hard to make sure that over time the finger doesn't do a 180.

The defensive tone was clear right from the top of his remarks today when he said: "The potential devastation to the Gulf Coast, its economy, and its people require us to CONTINUE our RELENTLESS efforts to stop the leak and contain the damage." (Emphasis added.)

And who can blame him. The potential political downside to a disaster is huge. Just ask George Bush. The White House, and most who have closely compared the responses, say this spill has little similarity to Katrina.

As Robert Gibbs told me today, "Katrina happened because no one was there to help, it was a non-response."

With the Gulf spill, he said, the response was "comprehensive and fast" and the Coast Guard and Interior Department were on the scene almost immediately.

This disaster is going to play out over a very long time, and as it gets worse there certainly will be efforts by others -- out of frustration over lost livelihoods and environmental damage, and for purely political purposes -- who will try to shift blame to the administration.

And eventually some of it may stick. The president is already working hard to make sure that doesn't happen.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20005039-503544.html

2. jem

jem

how slanted was that CBS article.

taking sides with the administration warning others will try and shift blame to Obama.

Quoting the press secretary with that pathetic quote.

3. Hello

Hello

Quite frankly i was shocked that CBS even printed the article, i was listening to the speech while i was trading and thinking to myself "am i the only one who thinks Obama is blaming bush again?" So i google Obama blames bush for oil spill and low and behold i actually found an article from CBS, i thought maybe id turn up something from a blogger, or fox news but i didnt think CBS would be willing to admit that Obama is a sanctimonious asshole who will never accept the blame for anything.

4. jem

jem

If I were Bush, I would send someone out on the family boat and say at least he tried to respond.

5. Obama wants to help, but he has yet another long weekend vacation scheduled, probably already has a tee time, so he couldn't squeeze in going to the funeral for the 11 oil workers or going to Arlington Cemetary for Memorial Day. For him, it's not an important holiday. Lenin's birthday, yes, but not Memorial Day. Anyway, those oil workers did not wear the union label and most likely didn't vote or contribute money to obama. So screw them.

Nashville suffered devastaing floods and loss of life and has yet to recover. Not even on Obama's radar. Bunch of whiteys in a red state. Mainstream media has zero interest. For some reason, that disaster, unlike Katrina, is a purely local matter and up to local officials to deal with.

So basically, Obama gave BP the idea to cap the damn well, an approach that had not occurred to them previously.

6. Hello

Hello

This got me to thinking today, i wonder if Obama some how miraculously got elected to a second term do you think that he will still blame Bush 6 years into his presidency when unemployment is still over 9% and he has spent, and printed trillions of dollars soaking businesses for entitlement programs.

I wonder if at any point he will figure he has any responsibility for the train wreck this country is rapidly becoming.

7. Don't sell yourself short. You're quite the contender yourself.

8. Hello

Hello

Obama probably didnt even think of that idea himself, he is to busy figuring out who else he can point fingers at, the idea to plug the well probably came from a liberal think tank, created by Obama to solve this mess.

Their first idea was to tax the oil leak, and let it keep going, but after many hours of deliberation they came to the conclusion that it might be a good idea to plug the leak first and figure out some other poor bastard they can soak for tax money.

9. Hello

Hello

1 month before the spill he calls for more offshore drilling and has the effrontery to blame Bush for this mess. The audacity of democrats would be comical if there wasnt so much at stake.

Dated March 31/2010

OBAMA TO OPEN OFFSHORE AREAS TO OIL DRILLING FOR THE FIRST TIME

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is proposing to open vast expanses of water along the Atlantic coastline, the eastern Gulf of Mexico and the north coast of Alaska to oil and natural gas drilling, much of it for the first time, officials said Tuesday.

The proposal — a compromise that will please oil companies and domestic drilling advocates but anger some residents of affected states and many environmental organizations — would end a longstanding moratorium on oil exploration along the East Coast from the northern tip of Delaware to the central coast of Florida, covering 167 million acres of ocean.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/science/earth/31energy.html

10. Hello

Hello

Zing!!! Another one liner from Gayby, i never even saw it coming.

#10     May 27, 2010