obama. best president ever for the market.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Here's the reverse spin.

The market is forward-looking. When Obama came into office, the DOW was at 8K. The market priced in Obama & the Democrats. When the Republicans won in November, the market priced in the Republican Congress. The people spoke and they wanted a restraining order on Obama. Unfortunately, Obama is no Clinton, so don't look for a repeat of the Clinton years.

GDP is 2.6%.
    Jobs created is 39,000.
    Unemployment rate is 9.8%.
    Highest poverty rate since the Great Depression.
    Obama & the 111th Congress added more debt than the first 100 Congresses combined.
    George W Bush sold more books in 2 months than Clinton did in 2 years because we have Obama and the people miss Bush.
    California, Illinois, New York, and others have serious debt problems.

etc etc. [​IMG]

#31     Jan 3, 2011
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

Most likely more or less the same.

#32     Jan 4, 2011
  3. Ricter

Ricter

Using your (cherry picked) intervals, we can assume that the market is still on a tear because Obama winning a second term is a certainty.

#33     Jan 4, 2011
  4. 1 - The market started going up, a lot, in March 2009. The election was a year and a half away, and at the time, no one would have given any kind of odds on the Reps taking the House. So your theory on that is, um, flapdoodle.
    2 - Corporate profits are at a record. Bloomberg reported just the other day that US corporate bonds are now priced to yield less than the rest of the developed world for the first time in a long time, if ever. In other words, companies are making craploads and their balance sheets are bulletproof.
    3 - The ISM index has been up for 17 or 18 months in a row.
    4 - Hours worked stopped going down almost immediately after Obama took office and have been going higher since. This is a leading indicator for employment. Recently, jobless claims fell to their lowest rate since before Lehman.

In short, we're now at the end of Obama's first two years, and everything is in place for the next two years to be outstanding. He's done way better than Reagan did in his first two years, even though he inherited a worse economy. If his follow-through is good, he's golden for 2012.

#34     Jan 4, 2011
  5. I've been told by PM to take it easy on you because several people told me that they suspect that you are senile.

Needless to say the country is "not doing just fine" as the largest states are teetering on the verge of bankruptcy with billions in legacy costs still due.

Sorry to burst your bubble but as stated in my original post I AM NOT SHORT THE MARKET but I do own precious metals, which did outperform the stock indicies last year.

Anyway, enjoy your last few months of sanity.

#35     Jan 5, 2011
  6. Tinfoil,

Are you really this shallow? Seriously, nobody I've ever met who is a card carrying member of either political party can be an objective observer of economics. Just like Vhehn above, you will twist the cause and effect of any outcome towards some positive for your political interests.

#36     Jan 5, 2011
  7. as i said the country is doing just fine for most people. there are many of us that dont have to worry about money, have no debt and spend their leisure time doing things they want to do.

90% of america is still working. and just this morning we heard that job growth may be much higher than what was expected.
    christmas sales were better than expected, auto sales are better than expected, retail sales are better than expected,rv sales are better than expected, the market is strong and taxes are lower than they should be.
    sure there are some states in trouble but the average american wont even notice if a state goes into default.

you doom and gloomer types spend too much time listening to right wing radio. by the way it would still suck to be you.

#37     Jan 5, 2011
  8. I like it better when 95%+ of America was working. Under Obama and the Democrats, our nation is at its worst since the Great Depression, and more polarized than ever. [​IMG]

#38     Jan 5, 2011
  9. Yes.
    Also, amused at how losing one election has made guys like you so apoplectic.
    The world is ending! There's a dimmiecrat in the White House! Oh my!

Actually, not amused. I've had my life threatened twice on these boards, one of those times by someone who apparently has since been banned who almost everyone here, left and right, makes apologies for, as a result of which I stay away from keeping a journal here, which I'd really like to do.
    My respect for the right and for most folks on the left as well, having seen how quickly they jump to apologize for that scumbag, has disappeared over the past few years. You guys seem to think you have a right to always be in power.

#39     Jan 5, 2011

10. Repeat: A CERTAINTY. Suffer greaseballs.

#40     Jan 5, 2011