Obama and Wright- How can you tell?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NeoRio1, Oct 3, 2008.

1. hughb

hughb

Obama quits church, citing controversies
    Story Highlights
    Obama says it was clear that pulpit remarks would always be linked to him

Resignation comes days after visiting priest mocked Sen. Hillary Clinton

Trinity United Church of Christ membership has caused headaches for his camp

(CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama said Saturday that he has resigned from the church where controversial sermons by his former pastor and other ministers created political headaches for his campaign.

"We don't want to have to answer for everything that's stated in the church," the Democratic front-runner said. "We also don't want the church subjected to the scrutiny that a presidential campaign legitimately undergoes."

Obama said he was resigning "with some sadness."

"This is not a decision I come to lightly," he said. Watch Obama discuss departure »

The resignation comes days after the Rev. Michael Pfleger, a visiting Catholic priest, mocked Obama's Democratic rival during a sermon at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, Illinois.

In the sermon, Pfleger wipes his eyes with a handkerchief and suggests that Sen. Hillary Clinton wept because she thought that as a white person and the wife of a former president, she was entitled to the presidency.

Pfleger is a Catholic priest at St. Sabina Roman Catholic Church on Chicago's southwest side. He is also a friend of Trinity's former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, from whom Obama distanced himself in April. Watch Pfleger mock Clinton »

Obama said the Pfleger controversy made it clear that, as long as he remained a member of the Trinity congregation, remarks from the pulpit would be "imputed" to him, even if they conflicted with his personal views.

Obama said he and his wife, Michelle, began discussing a departure from the church after Wright spoke at the National Press Club on April 28.

During the appearance, Wright said that Obama had "distanced" himself the fiery pastor for political reasons.

Wright, Obama's minister for about 20 years, drew unwanted attention for the campaign when videos of his fiery sermons surfaced.

In the speeches, Wright suggested that the U.S. government may be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community and equated some American wartime activities to terrorism.

Obama has said he was not present for the controversial sermons by Wright or Pfleger.

His campaign condemned Pfleger's comments.

"That is why I am deeply disappointed in Father Pfleger's divisive, backward-looking rhetoric, which doesn't reflect the country I see or the desire of people across America to come together in common cause," he said in a statement Thursday.

Obama said he and his wife had discussed and prayed on the issue with Trinity's senior pastor, the Rev. Otis Moss, and hoped that the decision would withdraw Trinity from the spotlight.

"Though we are saddened by the news, we understand that it is a personal decision," Moss said in a statement Saturday. "We will continue to lift them in prayer and wish them the best as former members of our Trinity community,"

Some Obama supporters, including U.S. Rep. Robert Wexler of Florida, said that disconnecting from the church signaled a chance for the campaign to move on.

"I think it bodes well for us in the general election that we can put whatever issues there were behind us in respect to the church," Wexler said.

All AboutBarack Obama • Trinity United Church of Christ • Jeremiah Wright

Find this article at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/31/obama.church/index.html

SAVE THIS | EMAIL THIS | Close

Check the box to include the list of links referenced in the article.

� 2008 Cable News Network

#31     Oct 4, 2008
  2. hughb

hughb

Can anybody here offer me proof that neorio has resigned from Jeremiah Wright's church? Didn't think so. Proof positive that Neorio is dangerous for America and clearly the wrong choice.

I'm hughb and I approved this message.

#32     Oct 4, 2008
  3. There could be a number of things explaining this. One could say bad leadership is the culprit. George W. Bush has been the president during this time and he's been giving tax rebates like crazy and spending money on questionable wars. Maybe that is the problem? After all, those receiving the tax rebates and war funding are "taking money from the government" too.

#33     Oct 4, 2008
  4. Hughb, that article discusses the fact that Obama left the church. You think he left it for political means or because all of a sudden he became aware that his pastor and good friend actually holds these radical views.

The whole democratic party is in denial over the past of their candidate. I have heard from many Obama supporters and haven't heard anything that resembles concrete evidence that Obama does not hold those views. The reason none of you here can defend Obama and prove he does not hold those views is because you simply can't. Debate over. Have fun being in denial.

#34     Oct 4, 2008
  5. i dont belive in the premise of this thread

Their is no proof Obama shares wrights views, if someone wants to claim that he does the burden is on them to provide proof

#35     Oct 4, 2008
  6. And you cant provide proof that he does

Have fun during Obamas Presidency

#36     Oct 4, 2008
  7. Seems as though many people saw some good in Wright and Wright dosent seem to hate white people

[​IMG]

CLINTONS brought REV. JEREMIAH WRIGHT to the White House for counseling during their marital crisis - Obama refuses to use this against them.

Moore: Finally, I want to say a word about the basic decency I have seen in Mr. Obama. Mrs. Clinton continues to throw the Rev. Wright up in his face as part of her mission to keep stoking the fears of White America. Every time she does this I shout at the TV, "Say it, Obama! Say that when she and her husband were having marital difficulties regarding Monica Lewinsky, who did she and Bill bring to the White House for 'spiritual counseling?' THE REVEREND JEREMIAH WRIGHT!"

But no, Obama won't throw that at her. It wouldn't be right. It wouldn't be decent. She's been through enough hurt. And so he remains silent and takes the mud she throws in his face.

#37     Oct 4, 2008
  8. Wright with another US President

Image:Jeremiah Wright as a Marine Medic Tending to Pres Lyndon Johnson.

Jeremiah Wright (behind the I.V. pole) as a Navy Corpsman Tending to Pres Lyndon B. Johnson. Bill Moyers was the President's Press Secretary at the time, and is behind Wright.

[​IMG]

1959 to 1961, Wright attended Virginia Union University, in Richmond. In 1961 Wright left college and joined the United States Marine Corps and became part of the 2nd Marine Division attaining the rank of private first class. In 1963, after two years of service, Wright joined the United States Navy and entered the Corpsman School at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center.Wright was then trained as a cardiopulmonary technician at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland. Wright was assigned as part of the medical team charged with care of President Lyndon B. Johnson (see photo of Wright caring for Johnson after his 1966 surgery). Before leaving the position in 1967, the White House Physician, Vice Admiral Burkley, personally wrote Wright a letter of thanks on behalf of the United States President.

#38     Oct 4, 2008
  9. If you say so...

#39     Oct 4, 2008
  10. My ability to use my brain leads me to that conclusion.

It must really suck to be holding only the fear card.

#40     Oct 4, 2008