Obama and the Minister

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rubibond007, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Princessa, if Obama is really not taking sides to black or white people, and is about unity as he proclaims, then why does he highlight the white prejudice (that does happen) and not talk about the black prejudice(that does happen) against whites? He ignores the fact that black people hate white people just becasue they are white. But he makes a point of letting everone know his white grandmother had fears of blacks. Does he speak of the black side of his family who express their white prejudice? No he does not. Why doesn't he speak of this? Hmm? Why does he attend a church that says white people are the enemy? You better question that Princessa.

#141     Mar 24, 2008
  2. Mercor

Mercor

In Chicago the black ministers are complaining to the new police chief that the crime problems are partly caused because there are not enough black cops.
    They say the black citizens feel that only black cops understand their problems.

You think Italians, Polish or Jewish citizens would be able to make such a racist demand

#142     Mar 24, 2008
  3. Although the racism of the past has largely gone away, there is still much out there.

The difference between now and then is that now it is much more subtle, because it is socially unacceptable. That does not mean it is not there.

I see it all of the time. I live in the South, btw. Overhearing jokes in the locker area, overhearing conversations at fast food restaurants, conversations among colleagues--it is still there.

Case in point (one that can be verified): during the Senate race in Tennessee in 2006, the Republican party literature took a picture of the Democratic candidate, Harold Ford, and significantly darkened it up (Ford is black).

Now why would they do that? Because
    people do not ever judge another by their skin color? Because prejudice is dead?

The only reason why Bob Jones University changed its racist policies in the late 1990's was because of pressure after Bush campaigned there.

The late 1990's. Gee, and black churchgoers are supposed to feel no problem about worshiping their God with people like that.

Prejudice, one might say, is part and parcel of the Christian religion, and has been practically from the very beginning. Against Jews, against women, against people of color, against gays, Protestants against Catholics, and Catholics murdering Protestants. And most of this was done by people of European descent. Not that it is individually our fault today, btw; and some black church leaders have expressed anti-gay and anti-Semitic views, unfortunately.

Nevertheless, I can see why black churchgoers would take a few elements from Christianity but change so much of them that they are hard to recognize. Who would want to be a part of a tradition like that?

#143     Mar 24, 2008
  4. I agree with all you have said. This is my point. Yes racism does exist, I am very aware of that. It is still here today by both blacks and whites, yes. I see and hear it everday from both blacks and whites. The point is racsim is still seen as just a problem that blacks, women, jews..... deal with. People are vocal about opression of blacks, women, jews......yes it happens. But no one will say that there is black hate of whites , just becasue they are white. And some black people use this lack of fighting back by whites as a sign of their weakness, and a sign that they can now do and say anything they want to whitie. And some black churches keep the hate going. Obamas church is one of those. So why did he stay connected to a church like that for 20 years when he could have chose another black christian church that does not promote white hate? After all, there are some black churches that do not promote white hate.

#144     Mar 24, 2008
  5. boid-dog

boid-dog

OOPs, Civil War - Republican - 500,000 dead

#145     Mar 29, 2008