Obama Already Has China Playing Defense

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ByLoSellHi, Jan 23, 2009.

1. =======================
    Good points Mav888;
    however I am sure , & wonder if you have noiticed the difference between ''vain/brain dead religion'' & true religion , or name it true redemption.

Meaning I am not an orthodox Jew, but ''Hear o Israel love the LORD with all your mind..................................'' To lump orthodox Jews or Christians in with brain dead religion;
    at best would be an observation of the blind with -/sunglasses

:D :cool:

And Merc, thanks for the ''translation'' I am not a Chinese com;
    but i watch China Central TV news ,creation/ panda bears more than CBS,NYT.
    CBN news FOX, IBD,SKY Angel ANN news,, bloomberg.com news keeps me well informed....................................................

#11     Jan 24, 2009
  2. At least you cited an unbiased news source that wouldn't favor EVERYTHING Obama does in a positive light.... oh wait nytimes nevermind

#12     Jan 24, 2009
  3. ROFL :D

#13     Jan 24, 2009
  4. If you children will stop your diatribes, I'll send each of you a whole bag of bubble gum.:p

#14     Jan 24, 2009
  5. All is fair in love and war.

Those of you who are disturbed by the fact that we now have an administration that seeks to impose its will, or at least more leverage, on China's ability or comfort level in artificially suppressing the value of its currency, thus harming U.S. exporters (and exporters of EVERYTHING), seriously need a splash of ice cold water to your faces to wake you from your apparent deep slumber of naïvité.

In an era where I can guarantee you there will be increasing isolationism and at least some measures and level of trade and policy withdrawal, all in an effort to appease increasingly hostile domestic constituents, you'd have to be completely dogmatic and blind to harken back to the good 'ole days of 'Adam Smith & The Wealth of Nations,' a luxurious topic that we were free to espouse and endorse at a point in time when not only the economies, but the very infrastructures of Japan, Germany, England, France, Italy, and much of the rest of Western Europe lay smoldering in the aftermath of WWII.

It's easy to endorse such grand conceptual schemes and philosophical paradigms as laissez faire capitalism when there is not only no other nation possessing the means and capacity to challenge you economically (let alone militarily).

However, when that hegemony is upset, and serious competitors multiply at a prolific rate, not only threatening your economic vitality, but your military capabilities, that icy cold splash of water that is the reality many of you have yet to experience (for whatever reason) may just shake you from previously held dogmas, and turn you into people as ruthless and pragmatic as those who are trying to take your very livelihoods away.

Keep denying this as the U.S.'s ability to impose its will and project its power is diminished year after year, until you are no longer free, but subjects of foreign powers.

#15     Jan 24, 2009
  6. NO. all is not fair. LOVE OR WAR is OFTEN MOSTLY never 'fair"! EVER!!! NEVER!!

what moron coined this, and what manner of moron parrots the same :mad:

#16     Jan 24, 2009
  7. It actually is an interesting article, but not because of anything Geithner said. Articles like this don't just pop into a reporter's head. Someone feeds them the idea and leans on them to publish it. Usually it's pretty easy to identify the source, as they are presented in a favorable light.

There are numerous potential sources for this piece, starting with the obvious, Obama administration trying to look tough, to the not so obvious, Chinese interests trying to grab victim card, to the really subtle, Hillary Clinton ( Clinton's don't have ties to China? I guess I just imagined that whole chinese illegal campaign funds for missile secrets scandal.)

It's certainly not clear to me what our best short term option is. (No one is worrying about the long term these days.) Is it to force up the yuan to try to get the trade deficit under control? But a deep recession in china and a reduction in their export earnings would diminish their ability to buy T-Bonds, potentially imperiling financing for our own bailout. If it is to protect the manufacturing sector and maybe salvage something out of the Big Three automakers, then I would have thought addressing currency manipulation and unfair trade rules in Japan and Korea would be the target. Maybe that is the next shoe to drop or maybe this was an indirect way to get their attention.

Or maybe it all is just misdirection designed to lull congress into inaction.

#17     Jan 24, 2009
  8. Answer

It traces its origin back to John Lyly's 'Euphues' (1578). The quote was "The rules of fair play do not apply in love and war. " John Lyly was a Renaissance English poet and playwright. :)

#18     Jan 24, 2009
  9. As I recall, there was a "Maverick" on ET about 5-6 years ago that was the BIGGEST "cheerleader" for George Bush out of any poster on ET at that time. My oh my. Look at how well "Dumbya's" grand leadership turned out since then. The only "mistake" that Dumbya admits to is the timing of his proposal to privatize Social Security. That's the ONLY mistake that he made over 8 years of his Presidency!
    Go figure.
    :D

White House historians will tell you that Bush took > 510 days of vacation during his 2 terms . . . That comes out to 25% of his Presidency. But then again, I guess that VP Cheney was really in charge anyway. I bet you didn't know that ( in reality ) you were voting for Cheney for President when you voted for Bush at the time, now did you?

:D

P.S. I would suggest that you go back and take a few Econ classes.
    The current economic situation in China actually presses them into a situation to BUY MORE U.S. TREASURIES!

#19     Jan 24, 2009
  10. AAA, it is an interesting article. I agree wholeheartedly, and I also agree there is nothing accidental about it being printed.

hoodooman, you are correct, sir.

Landis, you once again demonstrate integrity and an astute and, frankly, shockingly good memory. I fear being on the other side of any debate with you if I ever contradict myself, no matter how long ago that infraction may have been.

#20     Jan 24, 2009