Obama agenda: Tax cuts, spending

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mercor, Jan 5, 2009.

1. so...you now agree with my earlier assertion that he is now facing the grim reality and will not be able to tax the wealthy and corporations like he planned and campaigned on????

#31     Jan 8, 2009
  2. Did you not see the date of the news article that I posted earlier about Obama not rescinding the Bush tax cuts earlier than their expiration if the economy is in a Recession?

Sept. 7th, 2008

Obama obviously was quoted as saying the above well before his debate with McCain.
    Why is this "news" to you?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/07/obama-recession-could-del_n_124647.html?page=8

#32     Jan 8, 2009
  3. are you thick??? he is now offering new corporate tax breaks...read today's news..not the huffington post for god's sake...on second thought forget it...your right...OB is saying today the same exact things he said in October ...he ran on a platform that included one trillion in new spending and corporate tax breaks and credits to the tune of 300 billion:confused:

#33     Jan 8, 2009
  4. Apparently, I am not as dense as you.

What is it about your Reading Comprehension that makes you so utterly unable to understand the phrase that Obama used back on Sept. 7th, 2008 . . .if the Economy is in Recession.

In case you haven't noticed, the Economy has changed ( for the worse ) since September 7th, 2008. Hence the need for tax cuts, spending stimulus, and no rescission of the Bush tax cuts before they expire!

You act as if this is some kind of BIG surprise given the current economic environment, which is MUCH worse than what we knew back on Sept. 7th.

Time to get ready for the BCS Championship game.

#34     Jan 8, 2009
  5. no shit sherlock...and why can't you comprehend that 'all the promises OB made while a candidate have gone out the window"??? Even his own dem party is getting angry!...I never once said he wasn;t doing the right thing...all i said is that the reality is setting in and he's talking down the economy, what he will be able to accomplish and his popular theme about taxing the rich and the corporations..two months ago hes said businesses making 250k or more would have a tax increase...today he is givng them tax credits and breaks if they hire...with NO mention of future tax increases

#35     Jan 8, 2009
  6. Take a deep breath and try to fathom this:

Obama's campaign "promise" to raise taxes on the most wealthy 1% of Americans ( and to give the middle-class a tax cut ) was PREDICATED on the Economy not going down the tubes.

He was quoted as saying this back on September 7th, 2008.

It's amazing you aren't able to understand this.

Do you somehow think that everything works in a vacuum and that nothing is dynamic given how our Economy is heading for -5% GDP for Q4? Or should the President be raising taxes right now on EVERYONE and not deficit spend so as to balance the budget and send the Economy into a total DEPRESSION?

#36     Jan 8, 2009
  7. take a deep breath....he said it in the debates in october and prior to the election in November...and NOW...he is enacting further tax cuts that quite frankly, if McCain had proposed in October he would have ripped him for catering to the rich and powerful...and if all of this was so out in the open...why are his dem buddies in congress and senate up in arms?? apparently they never got the msg either

#37     Jan 8, 2009
  8. No rescission of the Bush tax cuts WAS out in the open.
    It was out there since September 7th. You just refuse to see it.

What some of the Dems are up in arms about in these initial preliminary talks is the fact that Obama wants to cater a bit to the Republicans and offer not just spending stimulus like the Dems want, but ALSO tax cuts.

In this way, he garners support for his Economic Plan from BOTH sides of the aisle.
    No big surprise here.

Again, a lot has changed with the Economy since Labor Day. I believe that both parties in Congress are very well cognizant of that, and so are the American people.

We're going to have deficit spending over the next 2 years to avoid a full-fledged DEPRESSION. We can worry about "pork" in the budget once the economy gains traction.

It's pretty simple Keynesian economics.

#38     Jan 8, 2009
  9. Oh geez...Im not talking about recission of Bush cuts.....he made additional cuts today separate from that...why do i bother...Your right...OB told the American Public that " Look if im elected I will increase spending , raise taxes on the rich and all corporations making over 250k and rescind the Bush tax cuts....but if things look bad. I will not only increase spending..but I will give additional tax cuts and breaks to corporate america"

your right...he said that...that is wht made him so appealing to the working class LMAO

#39     Jan 8, 2009
  10. Landis has an unconditional love for Obama so you can't have a logical argument with him.

It is amazingly comical though when an Obama supporter tries to use substance when defending Obama.

#40     Jan 8, 2009