Obama absent during mid east crisis

Discussion in 'Politics' started by John_Wensink, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I think that his appointment of Rahm Emmanual and now his silence on this current situation with Isreal bombing Gaza says everything we need to know about how he feels and how he will handle these types of issues. I'm also of the opinion that he is a lot less of a peace nik then his left leaning original friends had thought him to be, again we can see this with his current stand on Gaza/Isreal and also with keeping the current leadership of the Department of Defense in tact from the Bush Admin.

#11     Jan 2, 2009
  2. That is the best answer to the OP. It is the sitting president's job, not the President-elect's.

#12     Jan 2, 2009
  3. I think maybe it should be Law that the leading candidate from the opposite party of a lame duck president an entire calendar year before the election should be the guy to handle foreign policy. dontcha think?

Certainly not the elected...er...um...guy.

#13     Jan 2, 2009
  4. America should have no opinion on middle east matters. We have enough fucking problems at home than to be the Roman Empire of the world.

#14     Jan 2, 2009
  5. What problems ? Everything works according to plan .
    Not for the majority of people but it never was about them anyway.

#15     Jan 3, 2009
  6. Could you be more specific as to what impresses you about Mr. Obama?

#16     Jan 3, 2009
  7. Make no mistake about it, Robert Gates has passed the "mustard" test.

He is most familiar with Iraq and the toll it has taken on our military "readiness" and resources, not too mention what it would take to make a much larger committment in Afghanistan.

He is also very well versed in several large military platforms that are coming up . . . such as the $35 billion dollar KC-135 tanker contract ( average age of our current refueling fleet is 45 years!), the F22 Raptor / F35 Lightning and the Future Combat Weapon System (FCWS), just to name a few.

Meanwhile, General Jim Jones was appointed to head up the NSA. He was a 4-star general and served as the Supreme Allied Commander of Europe. In 2007, he also was chairman of the Congressional Independent Commission on the Security Forces in Iraq, which investigated the capabilities of the Iraqi police and armed forces.

And finally, former Army Chief of Staff, General Eric Shinseki heads up one of the largest bureaucracies in Washington, DC., the VA.

As you might recall, Shinseki was the ONLY military official during the Bush Administration that publicly came out for a cry of more troops in Iraq, back in 2003. He was then "demoted" after his public comment.

In my opinion, the above 3 appointments by President elect Obama are most impressive and will go a long way to helping the USA meet the military challenges of the 21st century.

#17     Jan 3, 2009
  8. Personally I always shared his economic views, if anything I thought his healthcare plan does not go far enough. It was all the other stuff that I was worried about. Mostly I was extremely concerned with his foreign policy views and that he would turn out to be a leftist, defeatist, America hating peacenik of Z-troll/Nader variety. So far it does not look like it's the case.

I am very impressed with his key cabinet choices especially Tom Daschle, Hillary Clinton, Rahm Emanuel, <b>Robert Gates</b>, Jones, Shinseki. And I am definitely very impressed with his handling of the middle east situation. Realistically he can't come out and say "bomb baby bomb" but his silence is the next best thing which basically conveys exactly the same message.

#18     Jan 3, 2009
  9. Republican whining over the loss of this election is really pathetic. Man up.

#19     Jan 3, 2009
  10. I can't wait until he becomes president.

Once he does I think we might actually be able to have a debate about him instead of the "excuse chorus" chiming in about him not being president yet and thus excluding every single legit argument about him.

#20     Jan 3, 2009