Oathkeepers and April 19th

Discussion in 'Politics' started by omegapoint, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Reading further Oathkeepers as an organization has withdrawn from the rally. Its still funny to read them though ...goofballs.

2. Blotto

Blotto

Sure, take the piss out of people who believe in something and have the courage to stand up for it. What do you believe in?

I've read their ten oaths and there isn't anything which looks "goofy" to me.

2. We will NOT obey any order to conduct warrantless searches of the American people, their homes, vehicles, papers, or effects -- such as warrantless house-to house searches for weapons or persons.

3. We will NOT obey any order to detain American citizens as “unlawful enemy combatants” or to subject them to trial by military tribunal.

10. We will NOT obey any orders which infringe on the right of the people to free speech, to peaceably assemble, and to petition their government for a redress of grievances.

For those of us with an interest in the matter, it isn't out of the question that the police and military may be called upon to act unlawfully by putting down legitimate civilian protest.

The governments in the USA and Europe have discussed the need to use the military for domestic enforcement of political will for the last few decades. If you are interested in this I suggest you read about the British experiences deploying the military to Northern Ireland during the Troubles.

There is much written by government agencies regarding the challenges of their using military force to quell civil unrest. Northern Ireland was used by the British Goverment as a test of public opinion as to what is politically tolerable when suppressing a "terrorist threat". Rubber bullets, house to house weapons searches, torture of suspects, internment of political prisoners (some of whom were guilty, but others merely guilty of "driving while Catholic").

The "oath keepers" might appear a bit kooky, but it is comforting to know that at least some of those charged with our protection and respecting our consititional rights don't believe in "befel ist befel" as justification for abuses.

3. You know, I love this about America ...
    true integrity ...
    a willingness to show courage ...
    a desire to be upright ...
    a desire to be honorable ...
    free thinking and free speech ...

These are the traits that have made America Great.
    These are the very foundational characteristics that have launched discovery and science so far.

And yet ... often the scientific and supposed modern thinking has the audacity
    and shortsighteness to overlook the foundation of greatness required for great discoveries to be launched.

Perhaps it is not only the tree of liberty that must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants;
    but it appears that the tree of knowledge, discovery and the audacity and
    pride that believes contrary to it's roots needs that same pruning.

I for one would much rather see a continued development and new renaissance of our current world into the next
    maturation and development of mankind ...
    rather than see the depravities of revolution and war bring us into bitter decline ...
    losing perhaps a half a Century of growth to regain character again and re-learn the simple
    "governance of man" principles that have purchased such momentum.

I don't want to see us have to revert to having to re-learn as a free society these critical lessons ...
    not when we are at the door of this new renaissance of unimaginable discovery.

There are discoveries and inventions and possibilities that could take us into really solving planetary problems ...
    and yet ... it appears we might need to take several steps backward to re-learn political social lessons that have been so thoroughly proven ...

I cannot for the life of me understand why it isn't clear for intelligent truth seeking people.

Perhaps some believe a benevolent dynasty or a "Star Trek esque" world of cooperation
    is attainable in our modern age ...

I like that thought ... however nice it is and easy it is to think it in America ... it isn't going to work ...
    yet ... on a Global scale without some absolute controls and absolute power.

So the belief would be in serious error and self deceived.

4. I believe in working people and your side somehow has that mixed up with corporations privileges. Blankenship is your role model. Keep out the unions whose function it is to keep owners honest while they're telling the rank and file to get in there and mine that shit and forget about any systems meant to keep yourself safe. This movement has its orgins in money funneled to Dick Armey's and his ilk to get these drama queens who've been
    suckled on Chuck NOrris reruns and are chomping at the bit to
    live out what they've only vicariously been able to taste. Where's the money go? Thats not hard to figure out. More millionaires and billionaires created in the last few decades but somehow they think it was "earned" . Earned? Ask miners, construction workers and the little lady who changes your sheets at the La Quinta Inn what it means to earn a living then ask a billionaire who just netted 10 million dollars after his last phone call.