OANDA widens EUR/USD spread to 20 pips ahead of NFP

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by Kicking, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Well OddTrader, how would or do you trade the example ?

#21     Aug 8, 2006
  2. i CHECKED MIN/MAX TODAY AND IT LOOKED LIKE THE SPREAD WAS 50 PIPS AT 2:14 PM

DID I GET THAT RIGHT?

#22     Aug 8, 2006
  3. and what on earth could those little details be?
    sheesh...ib got more bells and whistles than a formula1 dashboard.....what the heck are u after?

#23     Aug 8, 2006
  4. sim03

sim03

No, it was 5. The spreads widened in a single step, from 1.5 to 5 on euro and from 2.7 to 10 on cable at 2:12:30. They stayed there for >10 minutes, when they were cut in half, to 2.5 and 5, respectively, as the first of several back-to-normal steps.

#24     Aug 8, 2006
  5. If Adjustable Spreads kill your trading use a broker that has fixed spreads. Oanda Clearly states on their site the spreads are not fixed(however i do not trade through them). If your a scalper it would be beneficial trading with the average low spread they have of 1.5pips.

#25     Aug 8, 2006
  6. No, I couldn't. Only watching and losing money by doing nothing.

#26     Aug 8, 2006
  7. OddTrader:

"Being correct or not about the released data [can] may be protected with a Stop."

Based on TA techniques, I believe that — at least sometimes — a correct trade can be entered prior to a release, usually there's a trend change following the release.

On 60min and above timeframes many releases are just a blip, the other alternative is to be out of the market.

#27     Aug 9, 2006
  8. Basically that should be correct. In real life, practically sometimes we win and other times lose due to the market volatility.

Proper use of stops and/or options that would cause higher costs than normal might be useful, imo.

#28     Aug 9, 2006
  9. OK I see my mistake, I was looking at 1 minute chart.

Still, the min/max spread over 1 minute got as wide as 50 pips at 2:14pm, how can this be with only 5 pip spread ?

Similarly when I lost 20 pips in less than one minute, the 1 min.min/max chart indicated a a high and low of 20 pips for that minute

#29     Aug 9, 2006
  10. sim03

sim03

The min/max chart shows the actual price extremes - the lowest bid and highest ask - during that minute. In a news-driven volatility explosion, the b/a spread is going to be only a small part of the range between those extremes, especially on a time frame as long as 1 minute.

To monitor the spreads in real time, click on the "Quote List" tab (rather than "Quote Panel") on your Current Rates window. To estimate the spreads after the fact, up to about 90 minutes, move the mouse across primarily sideways segments of the 5-second (rather than 1-minute) min/max chart. Finally, updated spread graphs are posted early next day - see the link by Wallace in the 2nd post above.

#30     Aug 9, 2006