OANDA vs IB

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by C3P0, Aug 12, 2005.

Which is the best forex broker?

1. OANDA

34 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. Interactive Brokers

22 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. I see what you mean. I clicked the show average price and the candle now follows the price. But the average price at the time is still different (higher in the case of a sell trade) than the other brokers who are using the bid to follow the candles. This 1/2 spred (especially in wide spread, high volatile periods) seems to be to Oanda's benefit. Seems to me, tell me if I'm wrong, that Oanda stands to profit by the spread and then again by 1/2 the spread.

Wow, I just used around $50,000.00 of Oandas play money and took profit of $1,100.00 on a $1,500,000.00 AUD/JPY buy trade from 22:29 to 4:16, Aug-16,17. Wish I had that kind of real money. :)

#31     Aug 17, 2005
  2. I believe the candle is fixed on the average price. You can show the bid, ask and/or average price on your chart to accommodate for orders triggering off the bid/ask price. If you want to look back in history to see if for example your limit order should have been triggered while it did not, you should switch to the min/max chart to get accurate results.

I do not see how Oanda can profit from this as it's merely a graphical display preference. The stops, take profit or limit orders are triggered off the bid/ask.

Also, Oanda hedges net exposure, so Oanda does not have any stake in the opposite of your position.

#32     Aug 17, 2005
  3. Remiraz

Remiraz

if you don't want your stop to get "hit & run" and don't mind costing an extra 2 pips, just set your stops 2 pips larger. :D

#33     Aug 17, 2005
  4. Remiraz

Remiraz

how can we know for sure?

why would there be banks willing to deal for 1 unit of exotic pairs? :confused:

#34     Aug 17, 2005
  5. If you're worrying about a 1 unit trade, you got problems, and it has nothing to do with your market maker.

#35     Aug 17, 2005
  6. opening minimum lots at IBforex are 25k. what about closing? can you scale out of a 25k lot?

#36     Aug 17, 2005
  7. Nothing in life is for sure, you've got to trust people at some point. Oanda offers a great deal of transparancy, responds to all inquiries with helpful replies and resolves matters fairly. Their overall integrity is not matched by many.

Also, net exposure is only hedged over a certain threshold(minimum size at interbank level probably). There is no need to hedge every $1.

#37     Aug 18, 2005
  8. No you can't.
    To reply to Steve IB, the example you describe is just what should not happen 20 pip spread should not happen even at 8:30 am NFP release. Other platforms can offer smaller spread, I am sure IB can as well, 10-15pip spread at the exact time of the release should be the max. Anyway I 'd much rather take a chance and have my stop triggered for no reason other than the MM ripping me off than see a stop executed 50 pips further away because of the current stop logic. That said I sense that will happen too often on IB IDEAL that is why I prefer OANDA. I haven't traded with them during big econ. releases yet and there could be problems as well but I feel confident that the executions will be fair/

I am not a programmer , IB should offer the option to set trigger method to bid ask for cash products as well.

#38     Aug 18, 2005
  9. virgin

virgin

When is Oanda going to offer buy and sell stop entry orders ?
    And trailing stops ?

Those are the things I am missing to have a perfect platform.

Anybody has news on this ?

#39     Aug 18, 2005
  10. The Oanda limit orders trigger on both sides of the market. Your limit order will be executed as soon as the market reaches the specified level. I think this is what you mean by buy and sell stop entry orders.

The trailing stop is not going to be implemented as far as I can see - at least not any time soon.

#40     Aug 18, 2005