Oanda or IB?

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by dtjohnson01, Jan 25, 2008.

1. That's a very good point and probably why they have a front line of automatons answering the phones reading from the Oanda 'One hundred ways to fob off an irate client' manual :)

Standard Reply to everything from frozen quotes to non-filled orders: "There's no problem with the platform at our end, it must be your ISP" or "Try clearing your java cache"

#41     Jan 28, 2008
  2. lol, if the disccccusion has sunk to scraping the barrel by poitnng out speeling erors then wot more is their two say :p

#42     Jan 28, 2008
  3. drasfs

drasfs

Cabletrader: So it is common that Irate clients step into their office? I'm actually quite surprised why havn't read any murders on news yet.

#43     Jan 28, 2008

4. Whose? Oanda's?

That reminds me of the time a trader who had lost a pile of cash walked into his brokers offices and started shooting, real story, I can't remember where/when it was now. Seriously, that's a true story.

Here it is, it's very sad when it comes to this:

http://www.fool.com/news/breakfastnews/1999/breakfastnews990730.htm

Friday, July 30, 1999

Day Trader Shooting Spree

Mark Barton, who reportedly lost $100,000 day trading in the stock market recently, opened fire yesterday afternoon in two Atlanta brokerage firms, killing nine people and injuring 12 others. Police later discovered the bodies of his wife and two children, whom they say Barton had killed earlier this week. Barton, 44, shot and killed himself after being stopped by police at a gas station.

The shootings began about 3 p.m. at All-Tech Investment Services, where Barton, a former chemist, had been a day trader. According to All-Tech, Barton had not traded since April. After opening fire at All-Tech, killing four people, Barton continued his shooting spree at another brokerage firm, Momentum Securities, killing five others.

At Barton's apartment in Stockbridge, police found the bodies of his wife and children, beaten to death Tuesday or Wednesday. Handwritten notes were left on the bodies.

#44     Jan 28, 2008
  5. drasfs

drasfs

Thats a bit exaggerated. A broken nose on the one who screwed you would just do fine.

Well i would prefer to sue them, as I'm generally lawful,but apparently, that doesn't seem to work.

#45     Jan 28, 2008

6. It was a bit drastic that's for sure, the guy must have been seriously desperate, like Black Monday when they were all jumping out of windows, sheesh, at the end of the day it's only money.

#46     Jan 28, 2008
  7. In my opinion, that guy was a murderer before he got into Day Trading. He just found his excuse to execute those feelings. Could have been someone cutting him off in traffic.

#47     Jan 28, 2008
  8. I think we've all got a little natural killer instinct in us, just most of us exercise restraint in stressful situations. It doesn't take that much to tip the balance especially when things mount up. Losing 100k would probably do it if you thought your broker had screwed you! Topping the wife, well, extreme but perhaps understandable if she's a real bitch and doing it with the pool guy, killing the kids though is something else.

#48     Jan 28, 2008
  9. So? Any conclusions?

After some semi-dilligent research I think that for a beginning with small money Oanda would be the best choice... Even if they "run away" with all the money, which seems unprobable before 2012 ;) You will, at worst, loose few thousands of bucks.

After You somehow made millions with them ( a breakthrough system :D heh), or at least have these several tens of thousands to play, It is better to switch to something more reliable and regulated like IB, am I right?

Anyhow, for sure - Cabletrader is right - just put as much of Your money, as You are willing to risk on the account during a certain period of time and the problem disappears (and that solution is something brokers rather wolud not like :D) You can leverage more or less, depending on the expected price movements.

Is it true that Oanda allows fast money withdrawal? How is it with IB?

#49     Feb 8, 2008
  10. cstfx

cstfx

Yes, fast money out, provided initial deposit was in the form of wire. Oanda only returns funds to customer in the form that account deposits were made, i.e. opened with check, ALL funds, initial and profits, returned in form of check. If wires, make request by 2pm and funds are credited back to bank account by latest overnight (can only speak about US bank accounts - can't comment on deposits and withdrawals to non-US banks accounts).

IB can return monies in a variety of ways; you are not limited by type of initial deposit. You can even change banking instructions if you want, but be forewarned, changing instructions will freeze access to funds unless you speak with someone in their credit and banking dept. Wire requests made by 2pm are usually credited to your bank account by 6pm or overnight the latest (again, US bank accounts only).

#50     Feb 8, 2008