Oanda or IB?

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by dtjohnson01, Jan 25, 2008.

1. I thought you were going to give us all the 'straight-up facts' about Hotspot. Apparently not!

#11     Jan 26, 2008
  2. I have been an IB customer for just over a year after using etrade for 7 years. About 3 months ago I decided to give forex a go and for some reason did not even consider using IB. So I did my homework and decided to go with OandA.

I recently closed my account and now use IB to trade everything.

OandA was just too cartoonish for me. IB has an open and FREE (compared to $600/month at oanda) API that allows me to use external charting/analysis and trade execution software so that I can customize my trading environment to suit my trading style.

In my humble opinion you will be better served in the long run by dealing with IB.

Just my 2¢ - happy pipping

#12     Jan 26, 2008
  3. cstfx

cstfx

If you pm'd me like asked, then I did, but alas, you didn't. Besides, reading thru your posts since you joined, it seems you already have all the answers (the swagger to go along with it.)

#13     Jan 26, 2008

4. Ah right, sorry, I didn't realise it was a secret :p

#14     Jan 27, 2008
  5. That's the impression I got too, right from their cheesy 'Forex Traders Bill of Rights', 1 unit trade size, and Paypal! They seem more like an amusement arcade for kids wanting to play at trading rather than a broker for serious traders.

#15     Jan 27, 2008
  6. ssss

ssss

If question was related to safety of funds ,than no doubt
    only SEC related account,which is SIPC protected.

some of brokers,which offer trading with SEC and CFTC related
    instruments offer possibility to end of the day switsch funds from
    CFTC related account to SEC related SIPC protected ...

Best wish ...

#16     Jan 27, 2008
  7. Hittfeld

Hittfeld

You should better read the details before you distribute incorrect information.

Still IB is fine for me as well.

Hittfeld

#17     Jan 27, 2008
  8. drasfs

drasfs

I heard of brokers who requote or fill you so that you almost lose your whole account, so i guess that should worry you.

You should also look into hotspot fx. Recently bought by knight capital who is listed on the stock exchange.Commision is 4 dollar and spreadis 95% of the time one pip on the majors. Very good and simple platform and great customer support. ECN type, and has got great reviews. at forexbastard.com The best thing about them seems to be their instant fills and executions.

I think your money should be safe with them as they are backed by knight capital, and from my research, they seem to be very honest. They are under regulation of two major parties(one of them is NFA)

This could be an alternative if you cant deal with the horrible platform for currency trading and customer support at IB.

#18     Jan 28, 2008
  9. I can read:

Pricing

OANDA will charge a license fee of USD $600 for the Library, after which the customer is entitled to two free months of use. Monthly fees of USD $600 will commence following this two month period, discounted by USD $50 for each USD $1M in trading volume generated on the account. Note that a monthly volume of USD $12M would entitle the customer to free API use.

If you think I am making it up, you can goto the source: http://fxtrade.oanda.com/fxtrade/api/index.shtml

#19     Jan 28, 2008

10. Jeez, where do you get this stuff from :D

#20     Jan 28, 2008