OANDA or FXDD/StrategyBuilderFX

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by BTStrader, Jun 28, 2006.

1. BT Strader,

Why do you want to trade Fx?
    Have you considered CME IMM´s

#11     Jul 4, 2006
  2. bl33p; <b>You are probably confusing middle price charts and bid/ask prices (the spread), as what you say makes no sense really.</b>

Not sure how well you can read this but the spread clearly shows 1.2808/1.2811
    yet the chart is showing 1.2806

#12     Jul 4, 2006
  3. Here is another screenshot with the chart 4 pips outside the price spread.

Seems to happen pretty regular. So is this normal?

#13     Jul 4, 2006
  4. Totally normal. They use a composite feed made of many different market markets to power the charts, just like eSignal's GTIS feed. So if you see a chart print 4,5 pips away from your platform's bid/ask spread, it's a smaller 3rd party dealer included in the composite who is quoting away from the market. Just like eSignal. Feeding your charts with 3rd party data is a GOOD IDEA. Otherwise you are "taking your dealer's word for it" on the actual price, b/c that's all you see. Get as many sources as you can to see where the general market is dealing.

I trade on the interbank market and keep an eye on the major retail FX platforms. Trust me when I say you're wasting your time and energy worrying about your retail platform lagging/leading UBS, Goldman, Deutsche,,,etc. The top 3 retail are within a pip or two of the largest I-banks, which also vary a pip or two from each other.

Off to a 4th party so I won't be around until later to respond.

Good luck.

#14     Jul 4, 2006
  5. Thanks alot volkl151

Excellent explanation!

I was wondering what the H was going on when running three different demo accounts at the same time had prices that rarely matched.

Thanks again!

#15     Jul 4, 2006
  6. No Problem, NoProblem. Happy to help.

My best guess is the FX platforms demos run on less than superior servers causing the delay. There's really no point in making different rates on demo platforms.

#16     Jul 4, 2006
  7. nlslax

nlslax

I have been demoing FX recently (GFT messed up my system) and have read about trading the individual currencies at the CME.

Would be interested to hear your feedback re the CME.
    Thanks.

#17     Jul 4, 2006
  8. bl33p

bl33p

NoProblem, stuff like that doesn't happen at Oanda, there what you see is what you get. I trade exclusively on the chart only.

There may be small differences in different rate feeds due to lack of centralized market but after spending more than enough time monitoring CME forex futures and interbank rates I've come to conclusion that Oanda FXTrade rates are as good as they get.

#18     Jul 5, 2006
  9. hardyards,

I haven't really looked into CME futures, other than the fact that it seems to me that trading futures is basically trading options, and I haven't had much luck in the past with options. What are the advantages of CME futures vs. spot FOREX? I'm never opposed to learning something new.

#19     Jul 5, 2006
  10. Futures is NOT like trading options. Futures have a limited time span like options, but does not have the time decay as options have. I think you should read up more on futures before you jump in.

If you have the capital, it is a much better idea to trade the currency futures traded on CME rather than using forex... at least over here you have a structured exchange and you are not trading at a bucket shop.

Again, google and find out what are Futures Contracts and research it thoroughly. Good luck.

Maji

#20     Jul 5, 2006