Oanda does not make it easy to like them...

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by danmb280, Feb 20, 2010.

1. My suggestion is you stick to demo trading. The money transfers are free.

#11     Feb 22, 2010
  2. danmb280

danmb280

Why even chime in with such a useless and NOT funny remark. I'm sure you can find better use of your time.

#12     Feb 22, 2010
  3. You be sure to tell us all who that wonderful broker is once you find them. You've got us all on pins and needles.

#13     Feb 22, 2010
  4. siafx: "I get more questions about stop losses than about any other subject.
    Clearly this strategy causes traders a lot of pain and confusion. Some of it stems from
    the schizoid nature of our modern markets.
    But most of it reflects an underlying weakness in trade management skills."
    http://www.hardrightedge.com/wheel/hrestops.htm

what percentage of orders are accompanied by a Stop order - 10% ? 50% ? 90% ?
    i imagine it's a high percentage given how much the use of Stops is promoted and
    talked about, Stops add to market activity and create additonal liquidity
    but lets say it's 50% - 1 in 2 trades are accompanied by a Stop order

there may be any number of reasons why Stops are used, however, every time a Stop
    is activated
    it means the initial trade is incorrect

when the price moves to or through a Stop an immediate Market order is suddenly and
    automatically released - a new additional trade, and of course if there happens to be
    several or many Stops nested close together many Market orders will suddenly be
    executed, and if there's a 'ladder' of Stops, the price will of course run, the proverbial
    'fast market' occurs, and lets not forget option levels, expirations, purchases and the
    fact that as the price moves there'll be new incoming orders

the price movement resulting from activated Stops is a natural function of the markets .
    given how many initial orders are accompanied by Stops
    it would be unnatural if Stops Weren't activated

if any of the price quotes were too different between banks, brokers, data feeds etc
    then massive arbitrage trading would occur against that entity
    and the term fx 'market maker', just a polite alternative to bookmaker

the choice to use Stops or not remains with the individual trader's confidence in their
    trading method/system
    for anyone who doesn't understand price movement, why the price trades to wherever
    it does, i suggest they start by learning about pivots or fibonacci levels

i stopped using Stops more than 30 trading-years ago

#14     Feb 22, 2010
  5. siafx

siafx

Wallace -

Allow me to apologize to you for my earlier post. I came off way stronger than I meant to. Thanks for staying cool. :)

Anyway, I happen to be a profitable trader. I come to these forums more for interaction and news than anything else. I have noting to sell and I’m not looking for any lessons.

My personal problem with Oanda is just that, my own personal dislike of them. The person who started this thread described the exact same situation I was in with Oanda. I did not like it.

As far as stop running, I’m a little mystified as to why it’s so hard to believe. But if you’re with Oanda and you like them, God bless you, my friend.

Good trading to all!

#15     Feb 22, 2010
  6. siafx

siafx

I stopped using them, but yes, their chart showed their price action move 160 pips away from everyone else down to my exact stop and back up all in the space of a single tick in time. Yes, at the time I checked FXCM and Reuters just to name two, but I checked with many others.

Look, there are a lot of other details to it, but for brevity’s sake I’m simplifying things.

As far as not very convincing? Who cares? Go get your stops ran by your favorite bucket shop. Seriously, I’m done defending it. Have a good day.

#16     Feb 22, 2010