OANDA at 9 am

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by crazycanuck, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Excellent post, LA. I've been too lazy to answer Illiquid's question (though it's not only his question - it's come from a number of posters here) for a long while. You've done it perfectly. And #2 is a biggie for me since I also run an entire strategy behind that.

#11     Jan 23, 2006
  2. Chood

Chood

Illiquid, see this recent post under the "Trading" forum of ET, which gives one reason for choosing a fx retailer over CME/Globex:

I lost my initial grubstake my grandmother left me. so I decided to deal drugs and I got busted, I am posting this from jail (min security) where I can trade my small forex account on oanda.

#12     Jan 23, 2006
  3. Peter35

Peter35

I fialed to log in to my Oanda account this evening :(

#13     Jan 28, 2006
  4. That's because it's down for maintenance. It said so yesterday on their web page and apologised for the inconvenience.

#14     Jan 28, 2006
  5. slnkez

slnkez

After trading with 6.5 standard lots on the AUD Employment Change, Oanda started disconnecting me like crazy. I am 100% sure they do this on purpose. Was able to get 3 lots in for the UK Interest Rate hike even though they wouldn't allow me a stable connection for the next 30(!) minutes. And I've got the video to prove it too:

http://www.mediamax.com/slnke/Hosted/20070111_UK_Interest_Rate.avi

Before the recording, I was disconnected three times. Miraculously after I closed my position, I could reconnect/disconnect at will. I swear, there has to be some stupid teenager sitting at the dealing desk sending DOS to knock off my secure Java connection.

But yeah, I don't know what's up with that... I hold my positions for at least 5 minutes to give them time to hedge my positions on interbank and I take their spreads in the nads. I'm probably stuck on their radar right now like a fat pimple, considering how most people trade with what... a mini...

*sigh*

Anyone know of another broker who will allow reliable entry on or 1-2 minutes after the initial spike? How are the ECNs these days?

Well, good luck, folks.

#15     Jan 11, 2007
  6. Try IB, trade on globex.

#16     Jan 11, 2007
  7. your best bet like in any tradable market is to have a "backup"

broker .... of course not everyone has two or more monitors

either

#17     Jan 11, 2007
  8. slnkez

slnkez

Wow, quick replies. hahaha guess I'm not the only one doing nothing at the moment.

Globex... yikes. With the lack of liquidity and leverage, I may have to kiss my full-time trading career goodbye. Unless there are some advantages I am not aware of? In all honesty, I know about nothing other than spot forex and some basic economics.

But yeah, my backup is actually to trade after the initial news spike, but I really haven't used that many brokers before so I don't know which will give me reliable entries doing so. Oanda used to be pretty good to me, and I tried FX Sol, which I didn't like because of spreads. MB Trading, I've only used a demo, so I don't know.

Where else could I go with $50k?

#18     Jan 11, 2007
  9. notouch

notouch

You get better liquidity and leverage on Globex and you only need $5000 to open a futures account.

#19     Jan 11, 2007
  10. slnkez

slnkez

No way, really?? How are executions and such during or 1-2 minutes after a news event?

*prays to self* ...please don't let this be false hope... please don't let this be false hope...

:)

[edit]

Looking at CME Globex... I have no idea what I am looking at...

Maybe there is a babypips.com for this? :p

#20     Jan 11, 2007