NYT committed treason claims Trump

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cuddles, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

Guess "enemy of the people" no longer has the same ring to it...

https://www.apnews.com/ed30a98cafa94ecab4e540ffbd16a385
    Trump calls newspaper report on Russia power grid ‘treason’

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump has lashed out at The New York Times, saying it engaged in a “virtual act of treason” for a story that said the U.S. was ramping up its cyber-intrusions into Russia’s power grid.

The Times reported on Saturday that the U.S. has bored into Russian utility systems in an escalating campaign meant to deter future cyber activity by Russia. It comes as the U.S. looks for new ways to punish Russia’s meddling in the 2016 presidential election and prevent a recurrence.

The Times, in its official public relations account, called Trump’s accusation “dangerous” and said it had told officials about the story before it was published and no security issues were raised.

The newspaper, basing its reports on three months of interviews with current and former government officials, said this campaign was conducted under new cyber authorities granted by Trump and Congress. But it also reported that two administration officials believed the president had not been briefed in detail, fearing he might countermand the action against Russia or reveal sensitive information to foreign officials.

In a pair of tweets sent Saturday night, Trump asserted the story wasn’t true and denounced reporters as “cowards.”

“Do you believe that the Failing New York Times just did a story stating that the United States is substantially increasing Cyber Attacks on Russia. This is a virtual act of Treason by a once great paper so desperate for a story, any story, even if bad for our Country,” he wrote.

destriero likes this.
  2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

First he tweets "Treason", then he quickly follows up with "Not True!"

If it isn't true, how can it be treason? He's unraveling. The walls might actually be closing in for real.

3. Cuddles

Cuddles

I wonder if spreading misinformation is actual treason (his claim I guess)? Latest reports is he's telling his base they want him to stay past a 2nd term. In jest I bet....

4. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Where did you read that?

5. Cuddles

Cuddles

About 40 tweets ago .... Or yesterday

murray t turtle likes this.
  6. RedDuke

RedDuke

This is why he needs to be removed from WH in 2020. He caused so much damage that it will take a very long time to heal. Still can not fathom POTUS calling free press enemy of the people, just because they portray him in negative light.

I can only imagine the outcry on the right if Obama even mentioned it once about Fox, which was merciless towards him.

Tony Stark likes this.
  7. The press is allowed and required to attack the President, George Washington was attacked by numerous papers on a daily basis (a few funded by his own Cabinet members), and it has growen ever since.

The President can complain about the press but calling them the enemy of the people or treasonous is just ridiculous and is in a grey area of violating the 1st amendment.

8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Obama did point out Fox several times.

His white house: "We're going to treat them the way we would treat an opponent," she says. "We don't need to pretend that this is the way that legitimate news organizations behave."

Obama also stated that Fox's point of view was ultimately destructive to the United States.

Of course, Fox was one station - IS one station - of conservative viewpoints in a sea of liberalism. What the media has done to Trump has been far, far worse - and his anger is justified. I'm not saying how he went around throwing that anger was correct, but I get his point very clearly.

murray t turtle likes this.
  9. Cuddles

Cuddles

But fox news isn't journalism though?

10. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Half the country would disagree with your highly partisan assertion.

#10     Jun 17, 2019