NYSE short interest +7% in a month

Discussion in 'Trading' started by DeepFried, May 21, 2007.

1. Yep, very little direct retail moola, despite Wall Street's 24/7 efforts. But quite a chunk via mutual funds & 401-K's. Wall Street will want to confisicate it someday before the boomers start cashing in.

As for "pro" short interest, they're just as apt to buy puts or index futures. Leverage and distorted audit trail (albeit with time decay). Or, less aggresive long AND hedged with puts. Or writing calls meaning they don't mind being called away (riding "it" as "long" as "it" lasts).

Don't bank too much squeezes. That's for illiquid stocks and/or over-levered amateurs.

#11     May 22, 2007
  2. ammo

ammo

chinas whole stock market might be 4 billion $,don't have the data so don't throw rocks, they have so much new found money over there they can't find a place to park it ,so the us stock mrkt is like a bank for that money,our mrkt is in the trillions. That said we're still overbought and need a pullback, watch the durable goods # on thursday,,when it pulls back cnbc will say its because of the #,the market doesn't change,just the prices and volume,game is the same

#12     May 22, 2007
  3. basis

basis

If I buy 100 atm calls, and sell short 5000 common, am I going to get squeezed?

Short interest is a worthless indicator.

#13     May 22, 2007
  4. Good point basis. There are many hedging and arbitrage strategies in play on a stock like NYX; therefore short interest figures don't really mean what they seem to mean.

#14     May 22, 2007
  5. And the market maker selling you the calls gets long the stock to hedge.

Is short interest 100% pure? No.

Is it worthless as an indicator? No.

#15     May 22, 2007
  6. Mvic

Mvic

Agree with Basis, saw an article that did the math and most of the short interst is covered by a similar rise in call open interest. On the flip side cash available for withdrawl is at record levels in brokerages accounts.

#16     May 22, 2007
  7. how would you know that?......besides if anything that is bullish news.......they'll all buy in at the top....happens every time........still too much disbelief out there..........my fellow dipsters did well today......as usual.....yawn.

#17     May 22, 2007
  8. U call 3.1% of total market a big short interest?? Please!!

so 3.1% of market open interest is vulnerable to higher prices, wow!!

96.9% (the rest of the market) is vulnerable to lower prices.

so in a squeeze/liquidation move, who is gonna make the most $$ in a given timeframe?

You guys just keep buying, after all there is "zero risks!!!!" right?

#18     May 22, 2007
  9. Great call bro, I totally agree!!!

#19     May 22, 2007
  10. Mvic

Mvic

The info is out there, just be happy that I was kind enough to pass it along to you for free. Yes that is obviously bullish.

#20     May 22, 2007