NYSE Closing for President Ford's Funeral?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Harry123, Dec 28, 2006.

1. When your dead, all the money on Earth won;t matter.

#21     Jan 1, 2007
  2. Bob111

Bob111

3. GERALD R FORD

Not elected VP and not elected President......a unique individual...... oversaw the end of the Vietnam "police" action......military distinguished and good alround bloke......

J

#23     Jan 1, 2007
  4. Pardoned a massive criminal...

#24     Jan 1, 2007
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

I believe they have been closing the NYSE for the passing of an ex-president since 1885.

#25     Jan 1, 2007
  6. What I never could understand was, We lost like 24 dead trying to get back 16 sailors of the Mayaguez (sp). That period of time was so screwed up, and I believe it was one of Ford's first acts.

And then, they ask him his opinion of Iraq, like his two weeks as President made him Napoleon or something.

The fact is becoming increasingly obvious;we have a screwed up way of choosing a leader. When you have a trial lawyer in the backyard of some poor soul in the ninth ward of New Orleans trying to convince the rest of us he's a man of the people........ It's just totally fucked up. The Nation deserves better.

Ford was, of course, not elected, and he was a nice guy, so that reflects on the election process. ONly cutthroats get in. But, think about it. We only get career politicians or the mega rich. You never get an individual from Education or Science or Management.. Maybe we need a Jim Rogers or a Bill GRoss. I'm sure there would be some bitter economic medicine, but maybe it's needed.

I just know I'm tired of the Clintons, and the Carters and the Bushs...........

Ford was a nice guy. But remember he couldn't even beat Carter. It's because of the passage of time and the ineptitude of the rest that he is almost revered. I mean, WIN buttons. Get real. And we're still suffering from that. Make a profit, and the Fed raises rates.

And of course, the point being, we're closing the country for this? I don't get it. I seriously don't understand.

#26     Jan 1, 2007
  7. Tums

Tums

can't they bury him on new year's day? or saturday?

#27     Jan 1, 2007
  8. mokwit

mokwit

In 1885 markets were not correlated globally and linked via fiber optic networks.

I personally don't feel a past President dying warrants a closure of business. Nobody is forced to be President against their will and nobody joins an exchange or broker against their will, so please, no need for freebie holidays for the salaried freeriders of which Grasso was an example. As others have stated, it could have been one combined holiday..................

The question that I always see coming up WRT exchange personnel is: What do they do all day?

#28     Jan 1, 2007
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

I agree.

#29     Jan 1, 2007
  10. Bez

Bez

#30     Jan 1, 2007