NYSE Closing for President Ford's Funeral?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Harry123, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Harry123

Harry123

Hi, was wondering if anybody had any updates as to whether or not the NYSE would be closing any day next week in honor of President Ford?

Thanks.

2. Last Update: 6:13 PM ET Dec 28, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- The Nasdaq Stock Market said late Thursday it will close next Tuesday to mark the funeral of President Gerald Ford. President Bush announced earlier that Tuesday will be a national day of mourning. The New York Stock Exchange was expected to make an announcment shortly, the Associated Press reported. Ford died at his Rancho Mirage, Calif., home on Tuesday at age 93. In the past, financial markets have closed for presidential funerals.

3. Now that they are public, it is going to be a tough sell. Can you see any other public co closing for a funeral? I say next dead president, no close!!!!!!

4. so wouldnt it be kinda weird for the naz to be closed all day and NY to be open half a day? I cant see that happening...

5. S2007S

S2007S

agree.......

6. This is news to me, I really haven't been paying attention. Kinda weird. So i guess 4 day weekend for us starting friday. Any other exchanges going to close?

7. It would be unusual if they didn't close for at least 1/2 a day. They always close for the whole day or at least 1/2 day when a president dies. Reagan was the whole day.

8. Shorts are forced to cover. :D

9. Reagan would not of wanted it that way. But we live in a new world, public NYSE.... Maybe Ford, but not Carter, Bush, Clinton, Bush or whoever is next.....

10. Talk about an untimely death... :D

#10     Dec 28, 2006