Nyc

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by nitro, May 15, 2012.

1. sle

sle

Ha, I am confusing it with Second Avenue Deli (which I think re-opened after a few years), you're right - HH went bust.

Too bad. One my best Wall Street memories is eating H&H bagles in the middle of Broadway (right in front of the store) after my first bonus announcement. It was way past midnight and we kept yelling "join us, we are having a picnic!" to the girls passing by. Just like the H&H, that investment bank is not around any more either...

PS. apparently, the bakery is still around, it's the store that closed up

#21     Jun 16, 2012
  2. I was going to quote you before I finished reading your post :p

#22     Jun 16, 2012
  3. sle

sle

Yes, definitely an awesome spot (though I have never chatted up any hot actresses). Really good gin martinis, though - "make 'em dirty like my women, dry like my humor".

#23     Jun 16, 2012
  4. Where midtown? I'll give you that midtown has better eye candy (until the new WTC building is filled) but outside that it can be just as bad and there is no outdoor seating like Stone Street.

#24     Jun 17, 2012
  5. nitro

nitro

I have been in Manhattan and NJ the last few days. I went to the Peninsula bar and it was a nice place to see the city from up high. Thanks John. I took pictures from there, and maybe if I get a chance I will upload them, including one of a really pretty girl (to me) there. Wow! :) Went to Yankees Stadium where I saw a great game. White Sox came to play, and beat the Yankees on a three run homer in the top of the ninth. Great time.

As I write this, I am sitting in the NY public library on 42nd street in the main library room. It is an absolutely exquisite place to sit and think. The tables are very long, with ample space between the chairs. The table height is perfect. Each table has three round receptacles with four outlets for laptops or any other electronic device. It is completely flush with the table surface so it doesn't look awkward in any way. The chairs and table are a soft light wood and are very comfortable for use in extended concentration. There are four lamps on every table. I would choose a different color for the lamp shade other than gold because there are so many yellows in the room already. A bankers green might have been a perfect contrast. Ambiance is so often neglected, but this place tries so hard. The place is perfectly cool, even in sweltering 100 degree temperatures outside.The ceiling looks like something from the Sistine Chapel, with decorative chandeliers adorning and illuminating the space with soft lighting. If that weren't enough, there are giant geometrically shaped windows (semi-circle on top of a square), three per side letting in natural light. The building from the outside commands an entire city block is immaculately clean, and looks like something from Roman times. The sight at night must be equally fantastic. Everyone is mindful and quiet.

Mind you, this is literally next to what is probably my favorite part of NYC, Bryant Park, a sanctuary from the intensity of the rest of the city. It isn't like any park, this place has romance written all over it. Great place for a date imo (was part of "You've Got Mail" filmed here?). I was hoping to find speed chess players here to take on (usually for money, which suits me fine) but I don't see any at this time on Saturday morning.

I can't recommend this place enough if you come to Manhattan, if for no other reason than to read the morning paper.

#25     Jun 30, 2012
  6. I have another fine-dining experience to suggest to you, and this may be more representative of Manhattan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su0U37w2tws

#26     Jun 30, 2012
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

Would love to see pics of that library Nitro. I know I have been there a few times. That's one of the things I love about NY is the old buildings. Places like a public library are like a muesum.

#27     Jun 30, 2012
  8. Nitro, if you see this before you leave, the world's best burger is served at Bare Burger on La Guardia Place. The organic beef with a pint or two is heaven!!

The bar at the Tribeca Grand is a good place to start a Soho / Tribeca overpriced pub crawl if that is your taste. I have no club tips as I am on the Senior Circuit.

#28     Jun 30, 2012
  9. sle

sle

A place to have a quiet drink (though, not cheap) is Brandy Library (I assume you like quality hard liqueur). It's on 25 North Moore Street in SoHo.

#29     Jul 1, 2012
  10. North Moore is in Tribeca obviously but not far from Soho.

#30     Jul 1, 2012