NYC traders

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by daytraderpete, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Good first day...everyone was busy....saw about 6-8 ETer's, including Seth and MarketSurfer!!...and was pretty happy with the turn out of serious-type traders at the discussions we had on stage. A big "turn around" from 2003... glad to see that the industry is on an upswing.

I had a breakfast meeting with the Githler's, Kim and Charles (the owners of the Money Shows, Inter Show, etc.) in their suite on Saturday. Nice people....I guess they own hotels in Florida etc. Turns out my brother played blackjack with them in Switzerland 15-20 years ago.... Looks like they are going to be adding a more professional touch to future shows.... Nice people. It seems that they are planning some global expansion, and I told them that I'm glad to help in any way I can.

I met with Bob kantor (owner of ETG) and we chatted about the state of the industry for a while. He's one of the "good guys" in the business, and, although a tough competitor, he has always been a well respected businessman. He seems to be enjoying his retirement somewhat...but still wants to keep active trading...I told him I would make a special spot for him within BT, I would appreciate having his experience to call on every so often.

Anthony McMaster is qutie a guy....He runs a quick paced online trading room and seems pretty in tune with the Naz markets.

My friend Dave Sagarra, who runs the Vegas office of Generic (Pro Active Trading) actually flew with my brother and Earl (our trader and managment member, long time friend) from Vegas to JFK... they had a booth in the circular area on the sixth floor. They're tied in with Great Eastern as well. Glad to see their participation.

Mr. Robinson from Echo Atlanta (ex BT pal, here on the board) hung around for a long time...good guy...trading well.

Had dinner with Dan Son (of PenSon Clearing, Omni Pro, etc.) and Lynal Carey tonight.. these 2 are a real pleasant pair...true "Texas Gentleman" ... they sprung for a great dinner at Ruth Chris steak house...and I left them and Bob and Earl heading for an extended evening of "meet and greet" with some CBOE types.

A bunch of Andover/Assent guys came by....we chatted about the changes since Sungard took over...

We had 8 BT management types in the booth, and everyone was busy nearly every minute, answering questions, talking trading, etc. Cash Coyne had a number of his remote traders show up.

I'll keep the ET note sheet at the booth, in case anyone wants to get together.

FWIW...I just thought I'd pass some notes along...

Getting tired...9:00 presentation tomorrow morning....

Don
    :)

#51     Feb 15, 2004
  2. seisan

seisan

Great updates, guys... Keep 'em coming.

Wondering if Barron's/WSJ ended up having a booth or at least provided free issues and discounts to attendees... If not, can't see the reason why Dow Jones & Co., can't provide same for serious traders at InterShow's Traders Expo, since they do it at InterShow's Money Show for investors.
    Competitor IBD makes it to both shows...

#52     Feb 15, 2004
  3. I will say one thing about Don Bright
    he has the energy level of a kid ...
    I did not see him take a break
    from all he was doing ... hope
    all this activity does not wear
    him out ....

tomm I want to see the Shoney people speak ...
    as well as Adrienne Toghraie and perhaps larry williams
    and mr bright ...

#53     Feb 15, 2004
  4. Well thanks....I have to admit that I do enjoy speaking with everyone (getting a little more tired by end of day, lol). I have another stage presentation early this morning...we'll see how the attendance is on this Holiday Monday.

Yes, we like Adrienne (We are happy to have her with us at our Professional Trading Tour stops as well)...and I will see if I can track down Steve Schonfeld (not sure if he's going to join in with the show or not, but Bob and I will wander around to see who we can find).

OK, back to the show.....

Don

#54     Feb 16, 2004
  5. I can't believe how tall Cash Coyne is

did not get to meet market surfer ....

had a chance meeting with DR J. (really cool dude )
    in between his seminars

heard Shoney's Stevie talk about their new retail platform

too tired to go to cocktails in 1 hour ... will go home and rest up for the evening trading session

RealTicks Tshirts different this yr colorwise ( glowing orange )
    :p

#55     Feb 16, 2004
  6. gaj

gaj

went with a friend of mine to the nyc show on sunday; he'd never been before, and trades as secondary income to a day job. so he presented a first-time view, whereas mine is compared to the past couple shows.

"i didn't expect things to be so calm here," he said. true...the atmosphere, at least what i could see, seemed to be a much more determined - and realistic - crowd than before. surprisingly, IB wasn't there....there were again a fair number of forex and futures booths, a couple turnkey system sites, one traderobot site (trade 24 hours automatically!) and other things in that spirit. i only saw a few of what i'd term snake-oil salesmen.

there was virtually nothing being given away by the vendors, which is fine with me. those people who went to the trading shows a few years back (or the computer shows) can remember walking out with stupid amounts of things they'd never use. this year was considerably less than last, and i even was on the lookout for anything for my daughter. the mini-cooper wasn't going to do it :)

the chances of me seeing - or caring about - harvey pitt's speech was zero.

traderspress bookstore area seemed much emptier than last year, almost as if the clearance stuff was brought up here. it sure seemed like much less than before.

alan farley's presentation was geared towards newbies and was entertaining. the elderly gentleman who interrupted farley with his "no questions yet" (2 minutes in) about TASR left a few minutes later...

met don bright, who comes across the same in person as online. that's good. my friend: "he's a REAL straight shooter, says exactly what's on his mind". to both of us, that's doubly good. full of energy, and enjoyable to speak with. if i ever left my current home trading environment and wanted to trade bigger in a community, i'd definitely give them a first shot.

i believe that these trading expos really are outstanding for people who are getting started. there are so many quality authors and presenters giving their expertise and time for free...

nobletrading had an open bar at the china club from 10-11 at night, i think? i was long gone by that point, but they gave out cards for that.

would have tried meeting up with other ETers, but things were tight, and i had to catch a train home for wife and daughter (which i wound up missing for the next one anyhow).

#56     Feb 16, 2004
  7. gusy

gusy

I can confirm Don Bright's energy level...... He had two presentations, most back-to-back on Sunday and he kept on ticking...or I guess talking!!

As I'm not intrested on prop at this time, I didn't introduce myself, but the gent is real!!!

Regards, Gus

#57     Feb 16, 2004
  8. seisan

seisan

Yeah, the guy is indefatigable. The many things he does on behalf of his firm almost 24/7 that even some members of BT lose sight of, or, are not even aware of... Now, if he will just take care of himself as well as he does BT and his bootcampers, everyone will continue to benefit for a long time to come...including Don.

Speaking of raised energy levels, anyone done a Babe-check - attendees and vendors - at this year's NY Expo? The RealTick lovelies are always nice to behold handing out their t-shirts...uh, RealTick's, that is...

#58     Feb 16, 2004

9. hey seth,

sorry i missed you at the show. spent some of monday visiting the vendors then hooked up with some friends for lunch at the famous "tad's steaks" home of the .99 cent sirloin. LOL ! classic new york. returned to the show and met some cool et people like neisykay, et al--- attended the cocktail party sponsored by man financial ate several stone crab claws then split south toward philly.

surfer :)

#59     Feb 16, 2004
  10. WHAT? crab claws?

where?

all I got was a brew or two....

#60     Feb 16, 2004