NYC Passes Soda Ban

Discussion in 'Economics' started by JamesL, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Bob111

Bob111

that's not the point..the point is that gvt shouldn't regulate what you eat or drink. see you tube video above. and they shouldn't waste their time and taxpayers money on creating those rules. i'm pretty sure they have plenty of s**t to do in NY,rather than regulate soda size.

#11     Sep 13, 2012
  2. Yes, that is the point. This law only applies to NYC. It is a frivolous law because all it does is enforce a decision most New Yorkers already make. Yes, the NYC government does have better things to do than regulate soda size, but if the people of NYC are okay with this law, what is the problem with it? Don't move to NYC if you do not like this law.

#12     Sep 13, 2012
  3. RedDuke

RedDuke

Like others, I agree that this law will have minimal impact since NYC crowd is pretty health conscious any way.

There was a lot of push from fast food industry when all chains were required to publish calories next to a meal. Unfortunately, calories are only displayed in NYC.

I personally was shocked to find out that Subway foot long tuna has twice the number of calories as Big Mac. Tuna was my favorite sandwich there, I stopped eating it at all.

Some of these initiatives are not bad at all.

Regards,
    redduke

#13     Sep 13, 2012
  4. sumfuka

sumfuka

NYC should ban high prices for everything.

#14     Sep 13, 2012
  5. BSAM

BSAM

What's wrong with you anti-communists?
    Your good government leaders are only concerned with what is best for you.

#15     Sep 13, 2012
  6. Actually, there are severe diet related health issues for many New Yorkers, mostly black and latino. Obesity and general dereliction of health is rampant among these people and thier health costs get spread to the taxpayers. So local taxpayer representatives have an obligation to address the issue.

Perhaps we ought to ration health care based on personal fitness and dietary habits. You smoke? Drink too much? Are fat? Then pay more out of pocket. Perhaps Medicare and medicaid should inversely index medical benefits to one's health conditions as they pertain to diet and behavior. I commute from CT to NYC for work and almost always get off on 125th Street to take the subway. The health of the denizens in that area is abysmal, mitigated by the fact that there is a halfway house on the block.
    I was buying a Metro Card once and this 6'5" guy came up to me and you know what he said? "Can you help me out. I want to go to McDonalds". Can you beleive people pan handling with the express purpose to go to McDonalds?

You had a heart attack, you say?. Well, you are a fat shit. Put up your credit card for service. Otherwise, take two aspirin and call a cab in the morning.

Too draconian? How about changing the farm bill so that our Conservative-Republican dominated agricultural Red states stop getting welfare for growing crops that produce cheap junk food and syruppy drinks. Farmers lambaste welfare recipients but justify thier own welfare checks, since, well, it's only 10% of thier income.

I say gut the farm supports and cut Medical payments.

Now, I am taking my 5'9" 51 year old 142lb body out to dinner.
    I am going to eat on 78th and 3rd avenue at a Tex-Mex joint my beverage of choice will be water.

#16     Sep 13, 2012
  7. sle

sle

I live a few blocks up from there, just trying to think of the place... Are you sure it's 3rd ave and 78th?

#17     Sep 14, 2012
  8. JB3

JB3

It's retarded. Soda size? Really?

What's next? Ban fat people in NYC.

#18     Sep 14, 2012
  9. Aok

Aok

Lets see:

Ambassadors getting sodomized and croaked. Embassies being torched because Mr Muslim cant live in peace with their neighbors if just one person today looks cross-eyed at some dude who flamed out 1300 years ago. The BERNAK artificially suppressing i-rates for 3 MORE years. 50 mil on food stamps. 2 turds running a Kabuki show in lieu of a Presidential race neither of which can explain how we got 16 tril in debt or how to come back from that and the chaser to this swill Im forced to drink is now I have to hear how a billionaire Mayor is looking out for the little guy by reducing his access to Big Gulp cups?

For the sugar fiends in a saccharine fueled coma needing to be saved from themselves...

Drink more (some?)water,
    Mix in a salad
    Take the stairs/exercise

If you gargle with coca-cola probably you are going to be obese. Has nothing to do with Big Papa state overlording your lives.

It's tinfoil hat time.

#19     Sep 14, 2012
  10. 78th and 2nd. Mxico. Used to be a retro styled diner.

#20     Sep 14, 2012