NYC Passes Soda Ban

Discussion in 'Economics' started by JamesL, Sep 13, 2012.

1. JamesL

JamesL

Seems P&R is election dominated, and this is also an economic issues especially for the small business owner in NYC, so I posted it here:

New York City's health board has passed a rule banning super-sized, sugary drinks at restaurants, concession stands and other eateries.

AP
    The regulation passed Thursday puts a 16-ounce size limit on cups and bottles of non-diet soda, sweetened teas and other calorie-packed beverages.

The ban will apply in fast-food joints, movie houses and Broadway theaters, workplace cafeterias and most other places selling prepared food.

It doesn't cover supermarkets or most convenience stores.

City health officials said the ban is necessary to combat a deadly obesity epidemic.

The restaurant and beverage industries have assailed the plan as misguided. They say the city's health experts are exaggerating the role sugary beverages have played in making Americans fat.

Some New Yorkers have also ridiculed the rule as a gross government intrusion

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49019258

2. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Reminds me of Demolition Man. Everything is outlawed - except Taco Bell.

3. ultimately the people get what they want.

u want a nanny state? u got it.

and guess what? they love it.

4. Bob111

Bob111

+1. great movie btw. we are on the way to get there..probably sooner than most of us would expect..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pSEMNEqQJI&feature=related

why not to ban alcohol? cigarettes? sugar for fuck sake!
    [​IMG]

5. TGregg

TGregg

6. TGregg

TGregg

You know, I bet there is a pretty good correlation between food stamp use and obesity.

NY should ban food stamps.

:D

7. Arnie

Arnie

Who wants to help me with my new business?

15.9 oz cups.

I'm thinking NYC would be a good test market :D :D

8. +1 But how else are you going to get the masses to vote for you. If you give them food and shelter at no cost you pretty much locked in the vote. Bans on consumer products are nothing new but the stupidity is unreal. NY is controlled by a bunch of people that lost 2 congressional seats in the last census. There is still a mass exodus out of the state.

9. As a New Yorker, I would say that this law really does not have an effect on most people here as they are already health conscious.

#10     Sep 13, 2012