NYC Online Trading Expo

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by mama, Mar 2, 2003.

1. sammybea

sammybea

do you have info on the chicago show?

#11     Mar 2, 2003
  2. nitro

nitro

#12     Mar 2, 2003
  3. Tea

Tea

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the original owners of the show, Sugarman and Tim B. sold the show to the people who run the Money Show. I think the name was changed from the Daytrading Expo to the Online Trading Expo (to the best of my knowledge).

Perhaps this also explains the change.

Throughout the 1980's and 90's I was always one of the youngest people attending this type of show or group meetings. Then in 1999-2000 it switched to 90% kids wearing baseball hats. I felt like a granddad.

Then in 2001 it started switching back to mostly seniors - and I felt young again :)

The reason these shows are mostly old people is because they got the money and the time.

#13     Mar 2, 2003
  4. I agree. I was there. Fewer vendors and attendees. I didn't pay much attention to the age of people this year vs. last, but I did notice that the % of clueless people was higher this year. I saw speakers noting the most basic and fundamental of trading cliches, and when I looked around, 90% of the people around me were frantically copying the info into their notes.

There also wasn't as much free stuff this year (including no free back massage like last year :) ).

As usualy, most (but not all) speakers offered obvious cliches or rediculous claims in order to sell something.

The one good thing I'll say about the expo this year, it seemed like more people were humble. Maybe that's cause there were fewer good traders and more new people there, or perhaps (as I'd like to think) its because there were more people who actually enjoy and are interested in trading (maybe the last year was a test) rather than the myriads of people last year who wanted only to feel like rich, sophisticated big shots.

Oh, and the Real Tick shirts were nicer looking last year. :)

Just my rambling observations. :cool:

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

#14     Mar 2, 2003
  5. skeptic123

skeptic123 Guest

Same people, harsh trading conditions during the previous year took heavy toll on their appearance :D

#15     Mar 2, 2003
  6. Yeah, well, this is not a real good market for a 22 year old whose style it is to buy some inet up 8 so he can sell it up 10.

And , the crowd was pretty long in the tooth, no kid myself, although I saw one guy that looked to be about 79. What in blazes is he thinking?

#16     Mar 2, 2003
  7. man, i am happy i did not take the 90 minute drive to the expo this year. thanks for making me feel better !

:)

#17     Mar 2, 2003
  8. Tide31

Tide31

This was my first of this series of Expo's so I can't compare. Thought it was great. Everything I wanted to see, I saw. As far as the crowd looking older, yes it was easier for the last few years of the 90's. Trading was easier and everyone made $. Good traders made lots of $! I'd say that this market has spooked away many of those '49ers' with visions of an easy way to the first million. Seeing 'older' people there was also a sign of the mistrust of Wall Street these days. Taking matters into their own hands?? Remember this though, with a bull market and booming economy everyone made $. If you were a car salesman you sold lots of cars. A banker and you had lots of deals, etc . . . Love to see the posts where guys say that daytrading is dead. It's like saying being a lawyer is dead or being a general contractor is dead. If anything with all the volatility, trading is the only thing NOT tied to the economy!! Hedge/arb guys are daytrading because there are no spreads in their usual strategies. Adapt to a market that doesn't just go up and you are a trader!

#18     Mar 2, 2003
  9. Thanks for the narrative on the expo. I figured it would be really limited this year with the way the market has been performing. Be interesting to see if they keep having it. I bet this year was a money loser for the expo folks. How were the exhibits? Were there a lot of companies there or did the numbers dwindle in the exhibition halls too?

#19     Mar 2, 2003
  10. sammybea

sammybea

The expos make money on vendors more than attendees.. i am sure they banked real money. However, lack of people hurts the number of vendors next time around.

#20     Mar 2, 2003