NYC is so overrated

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rightofcenter, Apr 9, 2008.

1. This point was really driven home to me this past weekend when I visited New York City to see a bunch of college friends. I went to college in the east coast and have been to the city many times but now live in Chicago. Every time I go, I'm struck at how dirty NYC is; there's garbage piled up on every street corner, and the city literally smells like urine, garbage, feces, and indian food.

The media has glorified NYC over the past ten years, and people have bought the hype. But in reality, you pay $3K/month in rent to live in a crappy apartment in a mediocre building. The nightlife and quality of women also pale in comparison to Chicago. Everywhere I went in Manhattan, the girls were extremely unattractive. Chicago is full of gorgeous wholesome blondes, but NYC is just downright disgusting.

2. Chicago, lol. Try going to Florida or Cali. Don't expect models where it snows.

3. The reason they hype NYC is because the building owners need suckers, I mean renters, to pay that $3k/month.

4. Standard reaction of a sucker. Don't get mad cause you would not know how to untap the value of New York City. A BIG LOL of even trying to compare Chicago to NYC, it's not even a race.

If you are paying $3k/month for a 1 bedroom, it's a luxury building and a 1k square foot apartment. Otherwise, you are just an idiot.

5. Thats right.

Spitzy tapped it good.

Real good.

6. NYC rents are BS. Only welfare recipients and scammers making way more $ than they are worth live there.

7. So where do you suggest one look for affordable rents around Manhattan?

I'm talking a 2 bedroom apartment in Manhattan in a decent building in a decent area under $1,000/month? Does that even exist?

8. And you find that in the business center of Chicago?

9. Every time I go, I'm struck at how dirty NYC is; there's garbage piled up on every street corner, and the city literally smells like urine, garbage, feces, and indian food.
    ----------------------------------

Oh that! It's the Welcome Wagon set up for the Chi guys, keeps out the riff raff.
    :D

10. No that does not exist in Manhattan. You have to be able to actually afford to live in NY to enjoy it. There is a reason its expensive and its not because people don’t like living there. Chicago is nice too, I did a stint there and it does have a pleasant mid west charm.

#10     Apr 9, 2008