NYC Homeless Reaches Highest Levels In 25 Years

Discussion in 'Economics' started by turkeyneck, Dec 23, 2008.

1. bxptone

bxptone

I'm sorry, but where did you get these numbers from?? I hate when people make shit up and say it online as it seems most Republicans do, so please prove me wrong this time and post a link to this, because it would be pretty outrageous if your claims are true.

#11     Dec 23, 2008
  2. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A01E4D61030F93BA35750C0A9649C8B63

Since I know Democrats not only make shit up but are also too lazy to look anything up themselves, I will provide you with a link to a 2002 article from the New York Times. I believe you partisan hacks find that particular publication acceptable because it's all Pravda to you.

As a New Yorker, I don't remember where and when exactly I read the figure I'm quoting because I don't keep a record of everything I read over the years. The city's homeless budget grew to more than $1 billion, after 2002 while the homeless population didn't change or declined until recently. I'm sure you can figure out a way to look up New York City's current budget as it's a matter of public record. But even if we use the $956M figure in the NYT article and we divide it by the number of estimated homeless in 2002 (8600), that's a spend of $111,000 per family in 2002 - BEFORE then homeless budget increases took the amount spent on the homeless (or should I say, spent on government retards in the name of the homeless?) comfortably above $1 Billion.

Now, to spend $111K on my family, I would have to make close to twice that because the city and state taxes are so incredibly high (the highest in the country). So, if I make as much money as they spend per homeless person/family, the city actually expects me to live on about half that amount because state, local and federal taxes eat the rest. So, if the geniuses who run the city expect my family to live perfectly fine on just half that amount, how come they spend twice what I'm expected to spend and these homeless families/people are still living in shit? It's pretty effing obvious that most of the money taxed away from me in the name of these people is not being spent on them.

If you've never lived in the corruption paradise known as NYC, you might embark on a futile effort to come up with a valid reason for this BS. Don't bother. The reason is that city politicians are interested only in using the poor and the homeless to line their own pockets by funneling tax funds to special interest groups who, in turn, use that money to live in exclusive NYC buildings with a full posse of servants as they pay lip service to the homeless and the poor. In fact, one of my best friends works with these types of government anti-poverty (LOL, give me a break) programs. According to her, if 25% of every dollar spent on them actually makes it to the people it's meant for, it's considered an unsustainable miracle. The rest is eaten by government bureaucracy and both political parties are guilty of the same crap. Both the homeless and I would be better off if I just gave them the money directly instead of having it taxed away by city bureaucrats first.

Run a little google search on the San Fransisco homeless problem and spending if you think it's only NYC. Also, at least try to have half a clue before you start yammering about how other people are making shit up - especially if you're going to bring your special brand of political bullshit into it. Maybe a little more time thinking will stop you from being such a putz. In case your mama failed to raise you right...asking for a source is one thing. Being an asshole about it is another.

#12     Dec 23, 2008
  3. Democrats are really easy to grok. "The Poor" means Democratic voters, "Little Guy" means Union Member and "Economic Expansion" means more public sector jobs and welfare. "Racist" means "you trumped my argument with facts and /or a differing viewpoint from mine"

#13     Dec 23, 2008
  4. sammybea

sammybea

Wow... Just Wow. Thanks for that. Good research and well-said!

#14     Dec 23, 2008
  5. Mercor

Mercor

We used to have mental hospitals to help these people.

But then the ACLU argued the case that the people had the right to free will. The right to live as they please, eating from dumpsters , defecating on themselves.

#15     Dec 23, 2008
  6. A man after my own heart. :D

#16     Dec 24, 2008
  7. spinn

spinn

The response to this post was the best smack down I have seen since Al Gore invented the internet.

When can we expect your response bxp?

Liberals just fascinate me.

#17     Dec 24, 2008