nyc expo 2011 and question.

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by gaj, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Qty

Qty

LOL, that description could be really helpful :cool:

I see there're several Chinese brokers on the exhibitors' list - interesting... wonder if there could be any tax advantage to trade with them.

#41     Feb 19, 2011
  2. gaj

gaj

moc - i just thought it was interesting that both velez AND the securities company would be allowed to participate, given their - umm - questionable dealings with their most recent company.

qty - i figure the brace will be somewhat distinctive. also, in my 40s. but that's about it, not sure if i'll go to one of the earlier seminars or just hang outside the exhibit hall. most likely hang outside the hall, reading or with ipod on, unless i meet up with ppl or a couple vendors i want to talk with.

#42     Feb 20, 2011
  3. gaj

gaj

Fair number. Is more than 1 or 2

Outside 5th flr ballroom. Hasn't opened yet but lots of ppl already here. Presentations are packed and I've ntoiced a fair number of spouses here. The crowd seems older than I expected. Thought thered be more young uns

#43     Feb 20, 2011
  4. went to the show today.

huge disappointment.

should've stayed home.

#44     Feb 20, 2011
  5. RedDuke

RedDuke

For those coming today, let's meet at 3 pm by NinjaTrader booth.

#45     Feb 21, 2011
  6. better yet, spend the day doing something else. I've been to every show since the first one & this is the first show this is truly a total waste of time.

#46     Feb 21, 2011
  7. RedDuke

RedDuke

If someone wants to meet, please reply here.

#47     Feb 21, 2011
  8. Did anyone go today/Monday? If so, how was the crowd?

#48     Feb 21, 2011
  9. gaj

gaj

hey - the backpack / glasses / elbow brace description worked! i think the elbow brace was what gave me away.

the "final list" online of vendors didn't match who was actually there, which worked against me because there were a couple brokers i wanted to talk to in person who weren't there.

sunday had a free drink giveaway. so i walk down one of the aisles at a brisk pace, come back up the next one, and see, no joke (1 minute after doors open) a line of 50+ people waiting in line to get a free drink. really?? i went to get one an hour later before i was set to go, waited 5 minutes, the line didn't move much, and i made someone's day by giving him my free ticket. "you're all right!", he said.

i was looking to talk to scottrade i think, to see if they were clearing through someone other than penson, waiting to talk, and this guy keeps bugging me. he's from "i fund traders", o. velez' new operation. "want to get funded?" "oliver velez, great trader", master trader, etc. if i wasn't in a rush to get through the expo, i'd gladly have talked to him and asked for bonafide proof of how velez is a great *trader*, and what happened with his past operations? but i didn't. however, people for IFT were not only in his booth, but basically spread out in front of the booths around him, which is terribly rude.

# of forex booths appeared to be down this year. ashraf laidi had a booth in the hall, why i don't know. tradingmarkets appeared selling in very broad terms "the machine", which claims to be 40,000 strategies or something. tradestation /fidelity / schwab / ameritrade were the larger booth brokerages which were there.

as i've been to more and more of these expos, i realize that they're geared so heavily towards the person who has never been involved in trading, or is a cnbc fanboy.

#49     Feb 21, 2011
  10. RedDuke

RedDuke

Yep, for the most part it is geared towards new traders. But we all start somewhere.

#50     Feb 22, 2011