NYC Alternatives

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by eagle488, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Austin was great. The traffic continues to suck. You got it all there: bars, vibrant people, higher education, golf, lakes, etc. Also, several trading outfits.

#11     Dec 22, 2006
  2. Actually, Austin rated #5 on the most educated city list with 44% of the population having a college degree (NYC ranked #20).

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/Departments/elearning/?article=EducatedCities

Its the capital of Texas with lots of companies. Billionaires live there just like NYC. So if trading did not work out, you can fall back on something else.

Picture yourself going to an NYC bar and an Austin bar, which bar is most likely a place where you can pick up and have fun? When I have been in the south or the midwest, I have always had nothing but good luck in that regard. Women want to party, people want to drink. NYC has always been a problem for me. Lots of attitude and candor. On top of not picking up, you usually have to pay a fatty bar bill.

I would definately put Austin on the list. Go there for a few days and stay in a cheap motel. Rent a car and drive around the city. Its not bad.

#12     Dec 22, 2006
  3. If you move to Austin, I would recommend you living close to where you work and within walking distance of a bar. Preferably both would be near 4th and 6th street.

You might like Copper Tank and Fado (much better than other cities).

#13     Dec 22, 2006
  4. #14     Dec 22, 2006
  5. Here is another idea. Why not live where you want to live, but for the sake of state income taxes, set yourself up in one of the tax free states.

Im not sure of the logistics, but you can register a car, get a drivers license, etc. in one of the tax free states. You can rent out the cheapest room or even an empty garage from some online classified to establish an address. Not to actually live there, but to establish an address with a rental agreement and mailbox. Im sure you could get someone from the online classifieds to agree to an arrangement.

You'll have to do the research yourself on this, I dont have any of the specifics. Just an idea...

#15     Dec 22, 2006
  6. Surdo

Surdo

Gee what a brilliant idea!

When The IRS comes to audit you, just show them your PO Box! Perhaps you can start charging for your dribble.

bah humbug!

#16     Dec 22, 2006
  7. B5476

B5476

Gee what a brilliant response.

The issue is state income tax, not federal. If the IRS is enforcing state income tax laws, it is news to me.

#17     Dec 22, 2006
  8. Now Im not talking about anything illegal or sneaky. Im saying to abide by the regulations. So here is a link to the Florida Dept of Taxation:

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/new.html

Here is an excerpt from that website:

"You are considered a Florida resident . . .
    when your true, fixed, and permanent home and principal establishment is in Florida. Filing a declaration of domicile, qualifying for homestead exemption, or registering to vote in Florida can establish residency. Other actions, such as obtaining a Florida driver's license, only indicate an intent to establish residency."

So what if I find a homeowner who wants to rent to me anywhere in Florida. Lets say a room for $300 a month. You explain to the homeowner that you will be away on business all the time and will only stop in on occasion. Not hard to find on Craigslist and it doesnt have to be in Miami beach, anywhere in Florida. Then we say that our work takes us away on business all the time which is true. You work in another state. Then you register to vote and get a drivers license.

So if anyone questions that, and they probably wont, then you have rental agreement, voters registeration card, drivers license, etc. in hand. Then if they question you further, dont answer questions. Only let a lawyer do the talking for you.

You have a home in Florida, except you are away on business like a pilot most of the time. Its not illegal if you just explain it right.

#18     Dec 22, 2006
  9. Surdo

Surdo

Eagle:

You seem to be the expert at everything.
    Do you want to set up an offshore corporation for me, I was thinking of The B.V.I.

el surdo

#19     Dec 22, 2006
  10. #20     Dec 26, 2006