NY Times opposes Obama on targeted killings

Discussion in 'Politics' started by VVV1234, Feb 14, 2013.

1. VVV1234

VVV1234

Pheonix Trader, please don't pollute my threads with your
    asinine commentary.

#11     Feb 15, 2013
  2. "My Administration is committed to creating an unprecedented level of openness in Government." - President Barack Obama, January 2008
    ----------------------------
    Two years later… March 2010.

"The Democratic administration of Barack Obama, who denounced his predecessor, George W. Bush, as the most secretive in history, is now denying more Freedom of Information Act requests than the Republican did."

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/21/nation/la-na-ticket21-2010mar21

==========================================

One of the most disappointing attributes of the Obama administration has been its proclivity for secrecy. The president who committed himself to "an unprecedented level of openness in government" has followed the example of his predecessor by invoking the "state secrets" privilege to derail litigation about government misdeeds in the war on terror. He [Obama] has refused to release the administration's secret interpretation of the Patriot Act, which two senators have described as alarming. He has blocked the dissemination of photographs documenting the abuse of prisoners by U.S. service members. And now his Justice Department has proposed to allow government agencies to lie about the existence of documents being sought under the Freedom of Information Act, or FOIA.

At present, if the government doesn't want to admit the existence of a document it believes to be exempt from FOIA, it may advise the person making the request that it can neither confirm nor deny the document's existence. Under the proposed regulation, an agency that withholds a document "will respond to the request as if the excluded records did not exist."

This policy is outrageous. It provides a license for the government to lie to its own people and makes a mockery of FOIA . It also would mislead citizens who might file an appeal if they knew there was a possibility that the document they sought was in the possession of a government agency. Such an appeal would allow a court to determine whether the requested document was covered by an exemption in FOIA.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/31/opinion/la-ed-secrets-20111031

#12     Feb 15, 2013
  3. pspr

pspr

LOL Once you post here your thread is open game for anyone to say anything they want. This IS the Internet, kid. Get used to it.

#13     Feb 15, 2013
  4. 377OHMS

377OHMS

Why on Earth not?

You clearly are just a throwaway alias for one of the liberal jackasses who posts here. Don't expect to be treated with respect when you are breaking the forum rules.

#14     Feb 15, 2013
  5. Ricter

Ricter

The trend I think I've been seeing for the past 15 years or more is that each administration is more secretive than the last. That's not good, not at all, but it does jive with rising inequality and falling social cohesion,

#15     Feb 15, 2013
  6. 377OHMS

377OHMS

What a load of shit.

#16     Feb 15, 2013
  7. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

This is really a shame. I was was hoping to compile a list of people I don't like and send the list to Obama for drone strikes. That neighbor with the constantly barking dog - Boom! That other neighor who never mows his yard - Boom! The smelly person at work who never showers - Boom! That horrendous boss - Boom!

Targeted killings have so much potential....

... as long as I'm making up the list.

#17     Feb 15, 2013
  8. VVV1234

VVV1234

What are the forum rules as you understand them? One must insult other posters, question their integrity and issue idiotic commentary? If so, I am happy to break your rules.

#18     Feb 16, 2013
  9. Why whattya gonna do about it big boy, "spank me"?

:cool:

#19     Feb 16, 2013
  10. +1

It's funny that a statement as true as this is gets a response from 377 "What a load of shit". Of course the truth of it resonates deep down in the small part of his brain that still works, which cause cognitive dissonance with the deluded righty part, so he lashes out with a grunt.

#20     Feb 16, 2013