NY Times Endorses Obama

Discussion in 'Politics' started by lindq, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Liddy didn't participate in the planning of events violently targeting American lives. Plus I doubt McCain has raised money in Liddy's home.

It's apparent Ayers and Obama had a relationship beyond "serving" on boards and seeing each other in the parking lot at their children's school. Why is it obvious? Because Obama doesn't deny it. Given that Obama spent hours being grilled by the Feds on Rezko he knows how to keep his lawyer hat on tight when speaking of Ayers.

All he ever needed to say was "other than being on a board with Ayers I hardly know him." Obama doesn't answer the question directly. Out of all the people Obama worked with while performing community work who was it who threw him his first fundraiser? Given Obama's political ideology am i surprised he'd be tight with ayers? Not at all. Troubled? No. Like Nik I've cultivated radical relationships so I view those things a bit liberally. What pisses me off about Obama is the sneakiness. He's like Peter. Denies friendship with Ayers, didn't hear any of the bizarre Wright sermons, denies being at Rezko's home when Rezko feted Nadhmi Auchi even after a Federal witness placed him there, uses Harvard as the ultimate resume prop but doesn't release earlier transcripts or test scores, the flip flopping on issues from campaign finance to drilling to NAFTA to Jerusalem.

When one has little public record these things become important-the equivalent of votes on the Senate floor. Sen Obama do you support Black Liberation theology? Then why did you vote with your feet and stay in Wright's church until tapes were made public? Sen. Obama do you side with corruption in Chicago politics? Then why didn't you vote with your feet and not accept contributions from Rezko until he was indicted?

#51     Oct 25, 2008
  2. wjk

wjk

Among his supporters that don't want to find answers are the majority of the media, who seem more interested in finding out every last detail of a common nobody citizen than they are about the next leader of the most powerful position in the world.

#52     Oct 25, 2008
  3. Uh, did Liddy break the law?

Liddy may not have targeted events of violence against Americans, but what he was involved in was much more insidious than anything Ayers ever did or tried to do.

Ayers was a punk outsider revolutionary with zero chance of impacting the way government functions...Liddy on the other hand was part of a vast conspiracy that threatened the very fabric of our Constitution.

Who did greater harm to America?

Perhaps it is finally time to stop blaming people for the books they read, the beliefs they hold, the churches they go to...and look to the actions they take that have actual ramifications on the political process.

The absolute truth is that you have no idea what Obama would do if elected, none.

And that fact is what probably worries you the most...

I don't know what he will do, I have no idea at all. The facts I do have is that he has done nothing to actually warrant the level of hatred seen against him, and I do know that McCain is 72 years old and is slipping mentally, and that McCain betrayed himself and his real principles for one last chance to be president.

Both McCain and Obama are driven to have power. Palin equally, if not more driven. Biden? I don't see Biden driven by much at all really.

So it comes down to what we actually know, and what we actually don't know.

McCain likely means more of the same, which most Americans don't want. Blame Bush and the republicans for that, a McCain loss is all about Bush in actuality.

Obama? He is the Ace of Spades, and if he is playing a game of hearts he might be killed by having to take the queen, and if he is playing poker, he might take the pot by trumping every other card.

At least be honest for once, stop hiding behind your third person bullshit, and just call a spade a spade...

Obama could be the worst president we have ever had, or he may end up being one of the best.

No body knows, but we do know what we get with McCain...a person who was nearly universally hated by the ET republicans, who now have to make false attempts to support him, and/or fawn over Palin hoping that she becomes more than she actually is.

Let's get real and stop the insanity, okay?

Obama is a player, no doubt. He is as much of a politicians as I have ever seen, which means he has a secret and hidden agenda. The question is what that agenda really is?

Does he want to go down like Bush, who will be viewed in history as one of the worst presidents ever but did as he damn well pleased because he could, or does Obama have an agenda to use his talent to do what is necessary to get a second term and go out a popular president.

I don't see Obama's core at all. I don't have a clue what his core is, beyond an unhealthy (like most all pols) need for adoration and a lust for power.

But who knows, even bad people have done good things....and some very good people have done some very bad things.

If Obama is elected, why not at least give him a chance. Give him a year or two.

Why not put your love for America (if there is any real love for America) in hoping for the best for America despite whomever is elected...

#53     Oct 25, 2008
  4. What DID Liddy participate in?

"In a March 9, 1998, article (retrieved from Nexis), The Washington Post's Al Kamen reported that Liddy hosted a fundraiser for McCain's 1998 Senate re-election campaign."

http://mediamatters.org/items/200809190012#20081004

'Liddy hosted' : 'held in Liddy's home'.
    'fundraiser' : 'event to raise money'

Next?

#54     Oct 25, 2008
  5. Accurate.

"It's always a pleasure for me to come on your program, Gordon, and congratulations on your continued success and adherence to the principles and philosophies that keep our nation great." - John McCain to G. Gordon Liddy, 11/07

#55     Oct 25, 2008
  6. "G. Gordon Liddy's comment in 1995, when discussing how he'd used stick figures of the Clintons for target practice. "Thought it might improve my aim," he said."

"This gave Liddy hope "for the first time in my life" that he too could overcome weakness. When he listened to Hitler on the radio, it "made me feel a strength inside I had never known before," he explains. "Hitler's sheer animal confidence and power of will [entranced me]."

"In 1998, Liddy's home was the site of a McCain fundraiser. Over the years, he has made at least four contributions totaling $5,000 to the senator's campaigns--including $1,000 this year.In 1998, Liddy's home was the site of a McCain fundraiser. Over the years, he has made at least four contributions totaling $5,000 to the senator's campaigns--including $1,000 this year."

#56     Oct 25, 2008
  7. "Liddy has acknowledged preparing to kill someone during the Ellsberg break-in "if necessary"; plotting to murder journalist Jack Anderson; plotting with a "gangland figure" to murder Howard Hunt to stop him from cooperating with investigators; plotting to firebomb the Brookings Institution; and plotting to kidnap "leftist guerillas" at the 1972 Republican National Convention -- a plan he outlined to the Nixon administration using terminology borrowed from the Nazis. (The murder, firebombing, and kidnapping plots were never carried out; the break-ins were.) During the 1990s, Liddy reportedly instructed his radio audience on multiple occasions on how to shoot Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms agents and also reportedly said he had named his shooting targets after Bill and Hillary Clinton."

#57     Oct 25, 2008
  8. Mercor

Mercor

You would be one awful lawyer.

#58     Oct 25, 2008
  9. Ayers and Liddy are on top of the American voters priority list right now. Right !? And you blame politicians for being clueless. I haven't seen a single exchange in this thread debating how a single voter's life will be impacted if this or that candidate's proposal were enacted. Economic policy, foreign policy.

All what you guys seem to care about is who has been in whose living room 20 years ago. Bingo.

ET is worse that Bill Ayers's living room. Anybody hanging out here should be disqualified from ever running for political office.

#59     Oct 25, 2008

10. Umm not of all of us discuss that kind of BS only.

#60     Oct 25, 2008