NY Times Endorses Obama

Discussion in 'Politics' started by lindq, Oct 23, 2008.

1. lindq

lindq

2. so, they wait until he has a 10% lead to endorse him? Way to go out on a limb, NYT...

3. Gord

Gord

The Times is just shilling for Obama's smalll business, under 250 tax credit which they will qualify for next year... [​IMG]

4. Gord

Gord

5. The New York Times has not endorsed a republican in the general election for president in almost 50 years.

6. Gord

Gord

"S&P slashes New York Times rating to junk"

Apparently readers have too... [​IMG]

7. Just thought I'd check your claim, and the New York Times website had 14 million unique visitors in August alone.

That seems pretty good to me.

8. Gord

Gord

Oh you can do your own internet research - glad to hear it. Guess you won't have to ask me to do it for you anymore... [​IMG]

9. Mercor

Mercor

I give the NYT's two years before it shuts and goes online.
    The New York Times Co. reported a steep drop in third-quarter profits on Thursday, the latest gloomy earnings report in an industry battered by online competition and falling print advertising revenue.
    The New York Times Co. said net profit fell by 51.4 percent in the third quarter to 6.5 million dollars, or five cents per share, from 13.4 million dollars, or nine cents per share, in the same period a year ago.

The company, which owns About.com, The Boston Globe, International Herald Tribune and 16 other daily newspapers besides the flagship The New York Times, said overall advertising revenue fell by 14.4 percent during the quarter.

Shortly after the release of its results, Standard & Poors said it was lowering the Times's credit rating to "BB-," or junk status, while Moody's Investors Service said it was placing it on review for possible downgrade.

The Times said print advertising revenue fell by 18.5 percent in the third quarter while online revenue from NYTimes.com and other websites rose by 2.5 percent.

"The decline in print advertising revenues this quarter accelerated as the economy slowed," New York Times chief executive Janet Robinson said in a statement.

While print advertising revenue fell, online advertising revenue grew by 10.2 percent in the quarter to 74.4 million dollars, The New York Times said, and now accounts for 12.4 percent of revenue, up from 10.6 percent in the third quarter of 2007.

It said total revenue fell 8.9 percent in the quarter to 687 million dollars from 754.4 million in the same quarter last year.

10. Please see the other thread. I investigated your claims since you wouldn't support them.

Turned out you were wrong.

#10     Oct 24, 2008