NY based non-deposit prop firms

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Georgii, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Georgii

Georgii

Hello everybody,

I'm doing my MBA at a non-BB target school. With Dodd-Frank, it appears that banks are not going to be in this business for much longer anyway.

My goal is to get to a reputable prop firm in the NYC area that offers free discretionary based trading education and is willing to provide risk capital. FNYS is one such place (they actually pay a salary which makes them tough to break into), does anybody have any other places they know of? I've found lists of prop firms online and have searched this forum, but its very tough to sort the wheat from the chaff - I'd say its as time consuming as back testing, lol.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Note: for those of you who have an ax to grind, please spare me the
    whole 'Nobody gives an f about your stupid MBA/CFA/MFin', and other hostility laden incendiaries (that said, I'm sure I'll hear them anyway, sigh...)

2. Schonfeld, Jane St

3. Quad Capital, maybe Chimera.

4. Blotto

Blotto

Nowhere near as tough as the proposition of sorting out who has the correct raw materials to become a trader and who does not.

First question - if you want to be a trader, why are you doing an MBA?

5. Georgii

Georgii

Thanks for the earlier suggestions.

That proposition is the job of HR departments, not me :)

The decision to get an MBA was made because I thought I would give the institutional avenue a chance. However, just as I went to school, Dodd Frank hit the floor. At the same time, business strategies started changing and a shift began towards gray/black boxes (I'm not a programmer). Sales traders started getting pink slips and there was a demand contraction.

The other reason to get the degree is because should I decide to manage other people's money, it helps with credibility.